On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:26:05 -0500, Shawn Pearce wrote: > Linus Torvalds wrote: > > - "ORIG_HEAD" is very useful indeed, and it's the head _before_ a merge ... > Although if you have reflog enabled on your current branch there > is a 1 character shorter syntax: > > gitk HEAD@{1}.. Yes, this was my exact thought when reading what Linus wrote. ORIG_HEAD might be fine and all, but it pales in functionality compared to what reflog provides. I would very much like to see reflog getting first-class citizen support in git: 1. Be on by default 2. Get documented in all the right places, (much better than adding documentation for ORIG_HEAD in my opinion) 3. Tighter integration with branch manipulations. Do we already delete reflog when deleting a branch? We don't have a branch rename operation, but if we get one, renaming the reflog should go hand-in-hand, etc. -Carl