Hi, (before anything, thanks for actually following the steps for bug reporting. Much, much appreciated) Sebastian von Ohr writes: > I'm running an Intel Apollo Lake SoM (Celeron N3350E) which I want to use as > a USB gadget with the functionFS gadget driver. I have created two bulk > endpoints for sending and receiving data. The hardware and cabling is only USB > 2.0 capable. In one test case the receive side of the SoM is slowed down > deliberately (200ms sleep between reads) while the host PC tries to send as > fast as possible. This setup leads to send timeouts on every second > transmission on the host PC. > > I believe this is an issue with the USB 2.0 LPM feature, more specifically > hardware LPM done by the host USB controller. I have tested different USB It's like the host is trying to go down to lower LPM states every 100ms: irq/13-dwc3-236 [000] d..1 71.363262: dwc3_event: event (00000401): WakeUp [U0] irq/13-dwc3-236 [000] d..1 71.363315: dwc3_event: event (00000401): WakeUp [U0] irq/13-dwc3-236 [000] d..1 71.363423: dwc3_event: event (00006084): ep1out: Transfer In Progress [0] (SIm) > descriptors and the issue is gone when removing the USB_LPM_SUPPORT flag from > the USB 2.0 extension descriptor (actually removing only USB_BESL_SUPPORT seems > to suffice). Also the issue occurs only on some newer PCs and adding a hub it could be that LPM is disabled on older xHCI revisions. Mathias, anything you can add here? > (doesn't matter if 2.0 or 3.0 capable) makes the issue go away. I can > reproduce this issue with a Windows 10 (1909) host running an Intel B360 > chipset. I use libusb v1.0.24 with the WinUSB driver on the host side to send > data on the bulk endpoint. could you share a dump of your descriptors? It could be that the wake-up latencies are incorrect which tricks the host into trying to go down to lower LPM states too frequently. > See the attached dwc3 trace and registers. It was created using the current > 5.12.1 kernel version. It shows multiple WakeUp [U0] events in short succession > but never any event showing different link states than U0. The host is doing 8 > transmissions of 16 bytes to the device, but the device only receives 4 of > these transmissions. The first transmissions always succeeds while the next one > will timeout on the host. I believe this is because the device is currently not > ready to receive new data. But instead of sending the data when the delay on > the receive side is over the request never finishes and times out after 1 > second (or even longer when I increase the timeout value). > > Is the USB 2.0 LPM extension even supposed to work with the dwc3 controller? I yes, it should be supported :-) > can work around this issue currently by downgrading the device to USB 2.0 only > (setting bcdUSB to 0x0200). But I believe USB 3.0 capable device must support > LPM, so this issue might come up again when having USB 3.0 capable hardware. correct, LPM is mandatory for USB3.0+. From the traces, we don't see any errors, though. Everything looks fine. Mathias, I have an old memory from my time at Intel when we discussed this very fact. I can't remember what was the conclusion, but is there anything the peripheral can do to tell the host to *not* enter U1/U2 so frequently? If my memory doesn't fail me, I don't think there is anything at all for the peripheral to do, right? Other than not supporting U1/U2, which means STALLing the relevat SetFeature requests. Do you know if that would still be a certifiable solution? cheers -- balbi