From: Philippe Gerum <rpm@xenomai.org>
To: Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com>
Cc: Xenomai <xenomai@xenomai.org>
Subject: Re: "rtdm/nrtsig: move inband work description off the stack"
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 08:51:21 +0200	[thread overview]

Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> writes:

> On 26.05.21 15:52, Philippe Gerum wrote:
>>
>> Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> writes:

>>> OK, then we have a plan for this piece.

>>> Whatever is simpler.
>>>
>>> Another aspect: Using xnmalloc for anything that should better succeed
>>> is possibly not good when we are OOM. That is actually no strict
>>> regression over I-pipe where we had a limited queue as well IIRC but a
>>> reason to avoid carrying that over - and possibly creating new error
>>> scenarios that are harder to debug.
>>>

>> To mitigate the issue of generalized OOM, we could pull memory from a
>> local xnheap privately attached to xnthread_signal() along with any
>> caller requiring dynamic allocation, so that none of them could deplete
>> the sysheap.
>>
>> Getting rid of dynamic allocation entirely on the other hand would
>> require us to add one or more "signal slots" per possible cause of
>> in-band signal into struct xnthread (e.g. SIGSHADOW_ACTION_BACKTRACE,
>> SIGDEBUG_MIGRATE_SIGNAL etc), passing the proper slot to
>> xnthread_signal(). SIGSHADOW(SIGWINCH) and SIGDEBUG(SIGXCPU) are
>> standard non-queueable signals, so we should only need a single slot per
>> signal cause.
>>

> Can a thread actually trigger multiple causes per SIGDEBUG, e.g.?
> Likely, we only need to carry the single cause via a field in xnthread
> from the trigger point to the in-band handler. The same is probably the
> case for SIGSHADOW_ACTION_BACKTRACE.

Multiple events triggering SIGSHADOW_ACTION_HOME and
SIGSHADOW_ACTION_HARDEN _might_ pile up, although unlikely.

> Now, the question for me is how we move forward from this? Is it simpler
> to fix these issues? Or would it be better first avoid affecting I-pipe
> cases and living with xnmalloc for an initial phase over Dovetail?

A much better option would be that somebody volunteers to work on
implementing what has just been described, in order to have the proper
solution available in both I-pipe an Dovetail contexts, based on generic
code.

Although such work may not seem obvious at first sight reading the
jargonish descriptions above, it is actually fairly simple to
implement. I believe that any contributor would be welcome to ask for
explanations and details for that purpose.

--
Philippe.