On Sun, Jul 22 2018, Paul E. McKenney wrote: > > One issue is that the ->func pointer can legitimately be NULL while on > RCU's callback lists. This happens when someone invokes kfree_rcu() > with the rcu_head structure at the beginning of the enclosing structure. > I could add an offset to avoid this, or perhaps the kmalloc() folks > could be persuaded Rao Shoaib's patch moving kfree_rcu() handling to > the slab allocators, so that RCU only ever sees function pointers in > the ->func field. > > Either way, this should be hidden behind an API to allow adjustments > to be made if needed. Maybe something like is_after_call_rcu()? > This would (for example) allow debug-object checks to be used to catch > check-after-free bugs. > > Would something of that sort work for you? Yes, if you could provide an is_after_call_rcu() API, that would perfectly suit my use-case. Thanks, NeilBrown