* administrivia: mails containing HTML attachments
@ 2018-05-16  4:48 Stephen Rothwell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2018-05-16  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ppc-dev

Hi all,

I have decided that any email sent to the linuxppc-dev mailing list
that contains an HTML attachment (or is just an HTML email) will be
rejected.  The vast majority of such mail are spam (and I have to spend
time dropping them manually at the moment) and, I presume, anyone on
this list is capable of sending no HTML email.

Feel free to discuss ;-)
--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell

* Re: administrivia: mails containing HTML attachments
@ 2018-05-16  7:07 ` Gabriel Paubert
From: Gabriel Paubert @ 2018-05-16  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell; +Cc: ppc-dev

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 02:48:29PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have decided that any email sent to the linuxppc-dev mailing list
> that contains an HTML attachment (or is just an HTML email) will be
> rejected.  The vast majority of such mail are spam (and I have to spend
> time dropping them manually at the moment) and, I presume, anyone on
> this list is capable of sending no HTML email.

Go ahead, I couldn't agree more.

The correlation between spam and "HTeMaiL" is indeed extremely large.

	Cheers,
	Gabriel

* Re: administrivia: mails containing HTML attachments
@ 2018-05-16 14:46 ` Stewart Smith
From: Stewart Smith @ 2018-05-16 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, ppc-dev

Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> writes:
> I have decided that any email sent to the linuxppc-dev mailing list
> that contains an HTML attachment (or is just an HTML email) will be
> rejected.  The vast majority of such mail are spam (and I have to spend
> time dropping them manually at the moment) and, I presume, anyone on
> this list is capable of sending no HTML email.

certainly one way to get those pesky IBM Verse users off. To be fair,
Documentation/process/email-clients.rst also warns them appropriately.

I fully support ditching HTML mail.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.

* Re: administrivia: mails containing HTML attachments
@ 2018-05-17  1:42 ` Andrew Donnellan
From: Andrew Donnellan @ 2018-05-17  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Rothwell, ppc-dev

On 16/05/18 14:48, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have decided that any email sent to the linuxppc-dev mailing list
> that contains an HTML attachment (or is just an HTML email) will be
> rejected.  The vast majority of such mail are spam (and I have to spend
> time dropping them manually at the moment) and, I presume, anyone on
> this list is capable of sending no HTML email.
>
> Feel free to discuss ;-)

As it turns out, there's some bugs in how Patchwork handles HTML emails
that can screw up the resulting patch mboxes when retrieved from
Patchwork. We're hoping to fix that in the next Patchwork release, but
in the meantime this restriction should stop us running into any issues
on this list.

--
Andrew Donnellan              OzLabs, ADL Canberra
andrew.donnellan@au1.ibm.com  IBM Australia Limited