Arnd Bergmann writes: > On Tuesday 22 December 2015, Alexander Aring wrote: >> Later while booting the kernel hangs forever, the solution on my side >> was to enable: >> >> CONFIG_HAVE_ARM_ARCH_TIMER >> >> I think this doesn't use the BCM2835 timer anymore and some cortex-a7 >> related "generic timer", or? > > Right, but I don't see how that relates to the irqchip. Is the BCM2835 timer > connected to a secondary irqchip, while the arch timer connects to the primary GIC? The 2835 timer is a "peripheral", and connects to the second level irqchip, while the arm arch timer can give us per-cpu interrupts in the first level controller.