On Wed, Dec 13 2017, Jeff Layton wrote: > On Thu, 2017-12-14 at 09:04 +1100, NeilBrown wrote: >> On Wed, Dec 13 2017, Jeff Layton wrote: >> >> > +/* >> > + * The change attribute (i_version) is mandated by NFSv4 and is mostly for >> > + * knfsd, but is also used for other purposes (e.g. IMA). The i_version must >> > + * appear different to observers if there was a change to the inode's data or >> > + * metadata since it was last queried. >> > + * >> > + * It should be considered an opaque value by observers. If it remains the same >> > + * since it was last checked, then nothing has changed in the inode. If it's >> > + * different then something has changed. Observers cannot infer anything about >> > + * the nature or magnitude of the changes from the value, only that the inode >> > + * has changed in some fashion. >> >> I agree that it "should be" considered opaque, but I have a suspicion >> that NFSv4 doesn't consider it opaque. >> There is something about write delegations and the server performing a >> GETATTR callback to the delegated client so that it can answer GETATTR >> from other clients without recalling the delegation. >> >> Specifically section "10.4.3 Handling of CB_GETATTR" of RFC5661 contains >> the text: >> >> o The client will create a value greater than c that will be used >> for communicating that modified data is held at the client. Let >> this value be represented by d. >> >> "c" here is a 'change' attribute. >> >> Then: >> >> While the change attribute is opaque to the client in the sense that >> it has no idea what units of time, if any, the server is counting >> change with, it is not opaque in that the client has to treat it as >> an unsigned integer, and the server has to be able to see the results >> of the client's changes to that integer. Therefore, the server MUST >> encode the change attribute in network order when sending it to the >> client. The client MUST decode it from network order to its native >> order when receiving it, and the client MUST encode it in network >> order when sending it to the server. For this reason, change is >> defined as an unsigned integer rather than an opaque array of bytes. >> >> This all suggests that nfsd needs to be certain that "incrementing" the >> change id will produce a new changeid, which has not been used before, >> and also suggests that nfsd needs to be able to control the changeid >> stored after writes that result from a delegation being returned. >> >> I'd just like to say that this is one of the most annoying dumb features >> of NFSv4, because it is trivial to fix and I suggested a fix before >> NFSv4.0 was finalized. Grumble. >> >> Otherwise the patch set looks good. I haven't gone over the code >> closely, the but approach is spot-on. > > I don't think we have to do that. There are really only two states with > a client holding a write delegation, as far as the server is concerned. > Either: > > a) the client has done no writes to the file, in which case it'll return > the same i_version that the server has when issued a CB_GETATTR > > ...or... > > b) it has written to the file while holding the delegation, in which > case it'll return a different CB_GETATTR to the server > > The simplest thing for the server to do is to just increment the change > attribute _once_ when it gets back a CB_GETATTR with a different change > attr than it has. > > That's sufficient to tell another client issuing a a GETATTR that the > file has changed without needing to recall the delegation. > > Prior to the delegation being returned, the client will send at least > one WRITE RPC, and that's enough to ensure that the the next stat will > see the thing increase. "increment" and "increase" are not words that mean anything for an "opaque value". NFSd is, presumably, an "observer" of i_version (as it isn't the filesytem that controls it), so your text says it must treat i_version as opaque. That means it cannot detect an "increase" (only a change), and it certainly cannot "increment" the value. I think you need to allow observers to treat i_version as a 64 bit number which will monotonically increase. Any change to the file will result in an increment of at least '1'. Thanks, NeilBrown