It was <2015-04-30 czw 12:40>, when Richard Weinberger wrote: > Am 30.04.2015 um 12:19 schrieb Łukasz Stelmach: >> It was <2015-04-30 czw 11:12>, when Richard Weinberger wrote: >>> Am 30.04.2015 um 11:05 schrieb Łukasz Stelmach: >>>> Regardless, of initrd issues I feel there is a need of a local IPC >>>> that is more capable than UDS. Linus Torvalds is probably right that >>>> dbus-daemon is everything but effictient. I disagree, however, that >>>> it can be optimised and therefore solve *all* issues kdbus is trying >>>> to address. dbus-deamon, by design, can't some things. It can't >>>> transmitt large payloads without copying them. It can't be made >>>> race-free. >>> >>> This is true. >>> But as long dbus-deamon is not optimized as much as possible there is >>> no reason to force push kdbus. >>> As soon dbus-deamon exploits all kernel interfaces as much it can and >>> it still needs work (may it performance or other stuff) we can think >>> of new kernel features which can help dbus-deamon. >> >> I may not be well informed about kernel interfaces, but there are >> some use cases no dbus-daemon optimisation can make work properly >> because of rece-conditons introduced by the user-space based message >> router. >> >> For example, a service can't aquire credentials of a client process that >> actually sent a request (it can, but it can't trust them). The service >> can't be protected by LSM on a bus that is driven by dbus-daemon. Yes, >> dbus-daemon, can check client's and srevice's labels and enforce a >> policy but it is going to be the daemon and not the LSM code in the >> kernel. > > That's why I said we can think of new kernel features if they are > needed. But they current sink or swim approach of kdbus folks is also > not the solution. As I said, if dbus-daemon utilizes the kernel > interface as much as possible we can think of new features. What kernel interfaces do you suggest to use to solve the issues I mentioned in the second paragraph: race conditions, LSM support (for example)? BTW. Does anyone know how microkernel-based OSes implement sockets? -- Łukasz Stelmach Samsung R&D Institute Poland Samsung Electronics