On Fri 2017-10-27 19:15:08 +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote: > (Daniel and Egbert seem mostly okay with the butchered resolvconf in > their distros; at least they don't see any reason to change things, > since it mostly works, and users there at least have the choice of > somehow installing openresolv need be.) fwiw, i'm *not* ok with resolvconf. I tried to help co-maintain it for several years and stepped back from it in disappointment. I don't even remember the details at this point, but I'm not convinced that it's particularly architecturally sound. I haven't looked at openresolv myself. I personally think that the hatchet is an unfortunate distraction from wireguard. If Jason decides to ship it upstream, i'll include it in the debian packages as part of his decision. However, i suspect it will break some people's DNS resolution in ways that they don't know how to recover from besides a reboot (maybe it'll come back after a reboot too? yikes). I suspect this will raise even worse noise and abuse than "Rodney"'s silliness. And this time, they'll be (at least partly) right, because the experimental networking tool that they installed will have done bizarre things to their filesystem mount points(!) and hijacked an important system configuration file out from under whatever was maintaining it in the first place. ------ So I think wireguard is better off with a light touch here. If Jason just wants to maintain the current openresolv hook, then any wg-quick invocation that tries to set DNS can just warn on non-openresolv systems. something liike: you asked me to set up the DNS but i only know how to do that with openresolv installed. Please install openresolv and try again! This isn't as magic as the hatchet, but it means wireguard is not responsible for breaking the user's name resolution. And if folks want to integrate it with other /etc/resolv.conf managers, they can write, test, and propose patches themselves. ----- As for what the right solution looks like on a modern GNU/Linux system: A sensible approach (which i think should be the default on machines running systemd) is to use systemd-resolved as a local resolving cache. The easiest way to do that permanently is: systemctl enable --now systemd-resolved ln -sf /lib/systemd/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf If your networking is configured by systemd-networkd, then everything else JustWorks™ On systems that use network-manager, you should tell nm to just inform resolved when it learns about new DNS servers: cat > /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/use-resolved.conf <