On Tue Sep 01 2020, David Miller wrote: > From: Richard Cochran > Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 09:36:10 -0700 > >> On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 05:59:45PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote: >>> Maybe, at the moment, RTNL is keeping things atomic. But that is >>> because there is no HWMON, or MDIO bus. Those sort of operations don't >>> take the RTNL, and so would be an issue. I've also never audited the >>> network stack to check RTNL really is held at all the network stack >>> entry points to a DSA driver. It would be an interesting excesses to >>> scatter some ASSERT_RTNL() in a DSA driver and see what happens. >> >> Device drivers really aught to protect their state and their devices' >> state from concurrent access. > > Completely agreed. OK. So I'll keep the locking as is. Since I have to have to prepare another version due to the compiler warnings, I'll wait a bit for more comments and send the next version after. Thanks, Kurt