From: Zdenek Kabelac <zdenek.kabelac@gmail.com>
To: Martin Wilck <mwilck@suse.de>,
	LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm@redhat.com>,
	David Teigland <teigland@redhat.com>
Cc: Heming Zhao <heming.zhao@suse.com>
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] system boot time regression when using lvm2-2.03.05
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 11:13:57 +0200	[thread overview]

Dne 11. 09. 19 v 9:17 Martin Wilck napsal(a):

>>> Peter Rajnoha walked me through the details of this, and explained
>>> that a
>>> timeout as you describe looks quite possible given default
>>> timeouts, and
>>> that lvm doesn't really require that udev wait.
>>>
>>> So, I pushed out this patch to allow pvscan with --noudevsync:
>>> https://sourceware.org/git/?p=lvm2.git;a=commitdiff;h=3e5e7fd6c93517278b2451a08f47e16d052babbb
>>>
>>> You'll want to add that option to lvm2-pvscan.service; we can
>>> hopefully
>>> update the service to use that if things look good from testing.
>>
>> This is certainly a bug.
>>
>> lvm2 surely does need to communication with udev for any activation.
>>
>> We can't let running activation 'on-the-fly' without control on
>> system with
>> udev (so we do not issue 'remove' while there is still 'add' in
>> progress)
>>
>> Also any more complex target like thin-pool need to wait till
>> metadata LV gets
>> ready for thin-check.
>
> My idea was not to skip synchronization entirely, but to consider
> moving it to a separate process / service. I surely don't want to re-
> invent lvmetad, but Heming's findings show that it's more efficient to
> do activation in a "single swoop" (like lvm2-activation.service) than
> with many concurrent pvscan processes.
>
> So instead of activating a VG immediately when it sees all necessary
> PVs are detected, pvscan could simply spawn a new service which would
> then take care of the activation, and sync with udev.
>
> Just a thought, I lack in-depth knowledge of LVM2 internals to know if
> it's possible.

Well for relatively long time we do want to move 'pvscan' back to be processed
within udev rules  and activation service being really just a service
doing  'vgchange -ay'.

Another floating idea is to move towards monitoring instead of using semaphore
(since those SysV resources are kind-of limited and a bit problematic
when there are left in the system).

Regards

Zdenek