From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.DynDNS.ORG>
To: autofs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: "rmdir_path: lstat of <path> failed" issues, despite updated autofs RPM
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 00:22:52 -0800	[thread overview]

> On Nov 7, 2015, at 10:33 PM, Ian Kent <raven@themaw.net> wrote:
>
> Do those directories actually exist within /home?

Thanks for responding, Ian.

"objects" exists (apparently due to tickling by the automounter) but "refs"
does not:

[root@mipldiv log]# ls -ltF /home | head -2
total 40
dr-xr-xr-x  2 root   root        0 Nov  8 00:15 objects/

[root@mipldiv log]# ls -ltF /home/objects
ls: /home/objects: No such file or directory

> Has the machine been up for a long time?

Ironically, they started happening shortly AFTER the machine was upgraded
from RHEL 5.4 to 5.10 (with several reboots).  (It's been up for just over
4 days now, and it's still doing it every 15 or 30 minutes.)

[root@mipldiv log]# grep failed messages | grep -v bin/nrpe | tail -5
Nov  7 22:00:05 mipldiv automount[31419]: rmdir_path: lstat of /home/refs failed
Nov  7 22:15:05 mipldiv automount[31419]: rmdir_path: lstat of /home/objects failed
Nov  7 23:00:05 mipldiv automount[31419]: rmdir_path: lstat of /home/refs failed
Nov  7 23:30:05 mipldiv automount[31419]: rmdir_path: lstat of /home/refs failed
Nov  8 00:00:06 mipldiv automount[31419]: rmdir_path: lstat of /home/objects failed

> Are they actually causing a problem, other than annoyance value?

Just an annoyance as far as I can tell - our Xymon monitoring system
triggers on "failed" so we get red alerts from the system(s) whenever
this happens.  My officemate isn't happy  :-)

> They could be left over from when they where keys in a map but not
> removed on cleanup for some reason, or they could be the result of a
> failed or partial lookup and also not cleaned up on error.

The keys were never in a map.  That is what is so weird.  I went to our
Solaris NIS master and there is no reference to "objects" or "refs" in
/etc/auto_home or /etc/auto_*.  I can't imagine what could be running
that is trying to access those two phantom "/home" paths.

> You could try scheduling a reboot at some opportune time as that will
> result in a clean autofs directory at system startup since the autofs
> pseudo file system is RAM based.  Then if the messages continue, it must
> be some process attempting access of a path starting with /home/<dir>.

Well, given that the behavior really kicked in after the last post-install
reboot, I'm guessing your latter explanation is far more likely.  :-)

I've just turned process accounting on to see what is running on those
15-minute intervals that might be triggering these.  Already checked the
"cron" jobs and there aren't any on that frequency.  Most curious ...

	- Greg