* How to load preexisting ntfs partitions that are on an Intel Matrix Raid 1 or 5 ?
       [not found] <8CC636345AA2F7E-295C-545@webmail-d049.sysops.aol.com>
@ 2010-01-14 20:09 ` sylarrrrrrr
From: sylarrrrrrr @ 2010-01-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

  How to load preexisting ntfs partitions that are on an Intel Matrix
Raid 1 or 5 ?

I must also know that the loading of the partitions in linux will not
damage them.
Is the Intel Matrix Raid feature safe ?

I tried with the latest Knoppix 6.2 LiveCD, but the device was not
seenautomatically,  in /dev/mapper I found too many entries, which made
mesuspicious that my raids are not recognized well.

Packages versions in my Knoppix:

ii  mdadm                                  3.0.3-2
      tool to administer Linux MD arrays (software

ii  linux-image-2.6.31.6                   2.6.31.6-10.00.Custom
      Linux kernel binary image for version 2.6.31

More details of packages and versions are at:

http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/packages.txt

* Re: How to load preexisting ntfs partitions that are on an Intel Matrix Raid 1 or 5 ?
@ 2010-01-16  9:08   ` Luca Berra
From: Luca Berra @ 2010-01-16  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid; +Cc: ataraid-list

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 03:09:22PM -0500, sylarrrrrrr@aim.com wrote:
>  How to load preexisting ntfs partitions that are on an Intel Matrix Raid 1
> or 5 ?

either with md or dmraid + ntfs-3g

> I must also know that the loading of the partitions in linux will not
> damage them.
> Is the Intel Matrix Raid feature safe ?
which one?
dmraid i have no info, just tried it once,
mdadm: check the archives of this list
3.0.2 is broken
3.0.3 fixes some bugs
many more bug fixes are in git and will be in 3.1.2 i believe.

> I tried with the latest Knoppix 6.2 LiveCD, but the device was not
> seenautomatically,  in /dev/mapper I found too many entries, which made
> mesuspicious that my raids are not recognized well.

/dev/mapper is dmraid not mdadm,
besides that what do you mean with two many?
show evidence (dmsetup ls, dmraid -c, etc)
and maybe send it to ataraid-list@redhat.com, which deals with dmraid

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
          Communication Media & Services S.r.l.

* Re: How to load preexisting ntfs partitions that are on an Intel Matrix Raid 1 or 5 ?
@ 2010-01-16 13:57     ` sylarrrrrrr
From: sylarrrrrrr @ 2010-01-16 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluca, linux-raid

OK So this is the mdadm mailing list, and the /dev/mapper is irrelevant
here, right? So ...

How do I load my existing raid arrays with mdadm?

>  How to load preexisting ntfs partitions that are on an Intel Matrix
Raid 1 > or 5 ?

either with md or dmraid + ntfs-3g

> I must also know that the loading of the partitions in linux will not
> damage them.
> Is the Intel Matrix Raid feature safe ?
which one?
dmraid i have no info, just tried it once,
mdadm: check the archives of this list
3.0.2 is broken
3.0.3 fixes some bugs
many more bug fixes are in git and will be in 3.1.2 i believe.

> I tried with the latest Knoppix 6.2 LiveCD, but the device was not >
seenautomatically,  in /dev/mapper I found too many entries, which made
> mesuspicious that my raids are not recognized well.

/dev/mapper is dmraid not mdadm,
besides that what do you mean with two many?
show evidence (dmsetup ls, dmraid -c, etc)
and maybe send it to ataraid-list@redhat.com, which deals with dmraid
> Packages versions in my Knoppix:
>
> ii  mdadm                                  3.0.3-2
      >  tool to administer Linux MD arrays (software
>
> ii  linux-image-2.6.31.6                   2.6.31.6-10.00.Custom
      >  Linux kernel binary image for version 2.6.31

-- Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
         Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
  /"\
  \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
   X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
  / \
in

PS. I am not next to that machine right now, but I have 3 raid devices
on it and in the /dev/mapper there were about 6 or 8 devices some of
which had similar names and consecutive numbers e.g.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx_System1 xxxxxxxxxxxxx_System2 xxxxxxxxxxxxx_System3 while
my partition on one of the raid devices was called System and was raid
1 of two disks.

* Re: How to load preexisting ntfs partitions that are on an Intel Matrix Raid 1 or 5 ?
@ 2010-01-18  7:53       ` Luca Berra
From: Luca Berra @ 2010-01-18  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 08:57:03AM -0500, sylarrrrrrr@aim.com wrote:
> OK So this is the mdadm mailing list, and the /dev/mapper is irrelevant
> here, right? So ...
>
> How do I load my existing raid arrays with mdadm?

first make sure they have not been claimed by dmraid.
issuing "dmraid -an" should suffice
then just run "mdadm -As".
looking at /proc/mdstat you should see a container device (or array
using windows driver terminology) and the actual
raid volume.
under /dev/md you should also find meaningful device names and device
file for the partitions contained in the volume.

<snip>

> PS. I am not next to that machine right now, but I have 3 raid devices on
> it and in the /dev/mapper there were about 6 or 8 devices some of which had
> similar names and consecutive numbers e.g. xxxxxxxxxxxxx_System1
> xxxxxxxxxxxxx_System2 xxxxxxxxxxxxx_System3 while my partition on one of
> the raid devices was called System and was raid 1 of two disks.

please quote either above or below, it is a pain to read if you quote in
the middle.
That said, you use the term 'device' above with two differemt meanings,
and i am not quite sure of what you intend.
please elaborate on "I have 3 raid devices"
- 3 hard disks in the container (array)
- a container with three volumes

then you probably mix partition and volume
xxxxxxxxxxxxx_System1 is the first partition on volume System of Array
xxxxxxxxxxxxx (unfortunately arrays dont have meaningful names)
xxxxxxxxxxxxx_System2 is the second partition ....
and so on

--

@ 2010-01-18 21:36         ` sylarrrrrrr
From: sylarrrrrrr @ 2010-01-18 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluca, linux-raid

Thanks, I will try it.

it being "issuing "dmraid -an" should suffice then just run "mdadm
-As"."

However before I will, I would like to know if this is safe?
Is there a chance that I will lose all my data simply from this and
mounting, I ask since it is a new feature.

@ 2010-01-19  7:30           ` Luca Berra
From: Luca Berra @ 2010-01-19  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 04:36:39PM -0500, sylarrrrrrr@aim.com wrote:
> Thanks, I will try it.
>
> it being "issuing "dmraid -an" should suffice then just run "mdadm -As"."
>
> However before I will, I would like to know if this is safe?
> Is there a chance that I will lose all my data simply from this and
> mounting, I ask since it is a new feature.

I was able to use md to access an Intel Matrix raid on my home system,
albeit with some difficulties, due to the fact that the array was
degraded. See the thread titled "imsm woes (and a small bug in mdadm)".
I did not lose any data.
Still my feeling is that mdadm 3.0.3 and 3.1.1 are not complete versus
Intel Matrix. Current git should be much better, or wait for 3.1.2,
around mid-february afaik.
YMMV.

L.