On Feb 14, 2007, at 1:17 PM, gerwin van der kruis wrote: > Op woensdag 14-02-2007 om 12:53 uur [tijdzone -1000], schreef Jim > Thompson: > >> And I'm willing to throw cash, hardware and time at this. >> >> Yes, we sell WRAP boards, but I'm not looking to get a bunch-o-free >> development out of the process. (We sell a Gateworks ixp42x board >> too, just to be perfectly honest.) >> >> Years ago, I ran (and owned) 'musenki' (google for it or look here: >> http://he-colo.netgate.com/~jim/Musenki/. We had build a set of >> Motorola 8245/8241 boards, and I'd made linux run on them. I >> remember spending a horrific amount of time with a (very) early >> version of "buildroot". OE is so much more sophisticated that I'm a >> bit taken aback. >> >> The OE learning curve is still quite steep, but I think it would be >> less steep with a) a bit more documentation and b) an EZ way to start >> creating "little distros" that >> run on PCs using it. > > I remember we had this discussion before , the problem is the > bootloader, for example grub requires some extra handlings to get > installed probarly. There appears to be a decent start on "here are the set of steps" here: http://kbarr.net/bochs (I've only recently discovered this.) > I also experimented a bit with disk on modules which were much > faster than the compact flash and much cheaper as well. Its hard to beat $9 (what we pay for 128MB CF), but if you know of a source, I'm all ears. > I think if you write a script which automate the installation of for > example grub and than copies automatically the files over to cf you > are > finished , I did it once long time ago for an embedded voip pabx. I once made 'lilo' work with a buildroot-based system. The makefile is attached. I never could get 'grub' to do the same thing, though I prefer grub to lilo. > As Koen said I am working on x86 projects like wifi-radio (with a > mini-itx board and some small additions) a set top box and a thin > client.So we are working on it !! Is the wifi-radio tree available anywhere? > I will have a look if I still can find the software I made that time > for putting the image directly on the flash (I wrote it to produce > some > goods) thanks Jim