* [cip-dev] Proposal: Gitlab role policy
@ 2018-08-09  9:21 Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-08-09  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

now that we have new kernel maintainers it might be time to pay a little attention  to the user permissions/roles policy at Gitlab.com.

Some time ago we agreed to divide the different repositories in subgroups in preparation for this time. We can segment the permissions we provide to CIP contributors by subgroup. We have the following subgroups:
* 3rd party software (mostly related with testing for now (special case)
* cip-testing
* cip-kernel
* cip-core

For simplicity, I suggest the following:
* TSC representatives from each company will be owners, as well as the tool admin, at group level.
* We will have no group maintainers by default since we will not have repos at this level but we will enclose them in subgroups. So at this group level we will provide Developer or Reporter roles only to CIP participants.
* We assign the maintainer role to those who should have it, because they are responsible of a specific area, at subgroup level.
* Specific people can hold the maintainer role at repo (project) level based on the subgroup maintainer decision.

This simple policy can be extended as more people join.

Best Regards

--
Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant

* [cip-dev] Proposal: Gitlab role policy
@ 2018-08-20 14:08 ` KOBAYASHI Yoshitake
From: KOBAYASHI Yoshitake @ 2018-08-20 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Agustin,

Thanks for the proposal.
I think this simple policy works fine in CIP project.

Best regards,
Yoshi

@ 2018-08-20 16:32   ` Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-08-20 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

On Monday, 20 August 2018 16:08:36 CEST KOBAYASHI Yoshitake wrote:
> Hi Agustin,
>
> Thanks for the proposal.
> I think this simple policy works fine in CIP project.

In today's TSC meeting this policy was approved. Thank you all. I will implement it in the coming days. I might ping you individually if you are affected by it.

@ 2018-08-30  9:18 ` Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-08-30  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

This is a summary of the application of the policy.

On Thursday, 9 August 2018 10:21:50 WEST Agust?n Benito Bethencourt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that we have new kernel maintainers it might be time to pay a little attention  to the user permissions/roles policy at Gitlab.com.
>
> Some time ago we agreed to divide the different repositories in subgroups in preparation for this time. We can segment the permissions we provide to CIP contributors by subgroup. We have the following subgroups:
> * 3rd party software (mostly related with testing for now (special case)
> * cip-testing
> * cip-kernel
> * cip-core
>
> For simplicity, I suggest the following:
> * TSC representatives from each company will be owners, as well as the tool admin, at group level.

I have applied Owner rights to the CIP group to the following people:
* Jan K - Siemens
* Yoshi - Toshiba
* Takehisa K - Renesas
* Sz Lin - Moxa
* myself - Codethink
*  - Hitachi
* - Cybertrust
* - Pla'Home

Who should I add from these three Members?

> * We will have no group maintainers by default since we will not have repos at this level but we will enclose them in subgroups. So at this group level we will provide Developer or Reporter roles only to CIP participants.

I have removed the Maintainers.

> * We assign the maintainer role to those who should have it, because they are responsible of a specific area, at subgroup level.

** cip-testing subgroup:

There are no maintainers at a subgroup level. I have not changed anything here.

** cip-kernel

bwh and iwamatsu have maintainers rights at subgroup level. I have not changed anything here. Please let me know if there are additional people who should be maintainers. Please remember that there are other maintainers but at a repo (project) level.

** 3rd- party

There are no maintainers at a subgroup level. I have not changed anything here.

> * Specific people can hold the maintainer role at repo (project) level based on the subgroup maintainer decision.

cip-core is a repo and not a subgroup. I have not modified the roles to comply to the policy. I recommend first to move the repo into a subgroup so this effort can apply its own policies, labels, board structure or workflows without affecting others.

> This simple policy can be extended as more people join.
>
> Best Regards

Best Regards
--

@ 2018-09-03  6:50   ` 河合英宏 / KAWAI,HIDEHIRO
From: 河合英宏 / KAWAI,HIDEHIRO @ 2018-09-03  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Agustin,

> > * TSC representatives from each company will be owners, as well as the tool admin, at group level.
>
> I have applied Owner rights to the CIP group to the following people:
> * Jan K - Siemens
> * Yoshi - Toshiba
> * Takehisa K - Renesas
> * Sz Lin - Moxa
> * myself - Codethink
> *  - Hitachi
> * - Cybertrust
> * - Pla'Home
>
> Who should I add from these three Members?

Could you add me (user name: h-kawai) as TSC representative from Hitachi?

Best regards,

Hidehiro Kawai
Hitachi, Ltd. Research & Development Group

@ 2018-09-03  7:45     ` Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-09-03  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

On Monday, 3 September 2018 07:50:22 WEST ???? / KAWAI?HIDEHIRO wrote:
> Hello Agustin,
>
> > > * TSC representatives from each company will be owners, as well as the tool admin, at group level.
> >
> > I have applied Owner rights to the CIP group to the following people:
> > * Jan K - Siemens
> > * Yoshi - Toshiba
> > * Takehisa K - Renesas
> > * Sz Lin - Moxa
> > * myself - Codethink
> > *  - Hitachi
> > * - Cybertrust
> > * - Pla'Home
> >
> > Who should I add from these three Members?
>
> Could you add me (user name: h-kawai) as TSC representative from Hitachi?

Done