* [Buildroot] Gstreamer1.18 build static option
@ 2021-06-21  7:35 Ratheendran R
From: Ratheendran R @ 2021-06-21  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi All,

I am looking for the option to build gstreamer statically and linking with
our webrtc plugin.

 looks like it is not supported on buildroot 2020.x, let me know if this
working on any of the buildroot versions.please share the details or
workaround if exists.

thanks in advance
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Gstreamer1.18 build static option
@ 2021-06-21 18:24 ` Peter Seiderer
From: Peter Seiderer @ 2021-06-21 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Ratheendran,

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:05:45 +0530, Ratheendran R <ratheendran.s@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I am looking for the option to build gstreamer statically and linking with
> our webrtc plugin.

There are no per-package options in buildroot to select static or dynamic
linking...

>  looks like it is not supported on buildroot 2020.x, let me know if this
> working on any of the buildroot versions.please share the details or
> workaround if exists.

Only a global one, take a look at 'make menuconfig' and 'Build options' -->
'libraries' --> 'staic only'/'shared only'/'both static and shared'....

But not sure if gstreamer will honor your selection as you expect it (personally
do only use/test the shared case)...

Regards,
Peter

@ 2021-06-21 20:33   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2021-06-21 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 21/06/2021 20:24, Peter Seiderer wrote:
> Hello Ratheendran,
>
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:05:45 +0530, Ratheendran R <ratheendran.s@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I am looking for the option to build gstreamer statically and linking with
>> our webrtc plugin.
>
> There are no per-package options in buildroot to select static or dynamic
> linking...
>

>>  looks like it is not supported on buildroot 2020.x, let me know if this
>> working on any of the buildroot versions.please share the details or
>> workaround if exists.
>
> Only a global one, take a look at 'make menuconfig' and 'Build options' -->
> 'libraries' --> 'staic only'/'shared only'/'both static and shared'....

 Note that static-only is not available with glibc, you need to use musl or
uClibc for that.

 Also, static-only will link *everything* statically, which (for bigger systems)
will usually result in a huge footprint.

 I would suggest to use 'both static and shared'. Unfortunately, that won't
work: GStreamer uses meson as build system, and meson doesn't support building
both shared and static libraries at the same time, so you'll get only the shared
library.

 A workaround that some people use is to have two buildroot configurations: one
which is static-only and where you build the static libraries, and a second one
that copies the files from the first one as external toolchain, so the static
libraries are available. That's a hack that half-works, but it could be useful
for you.

 Regards,
 Arnout