From: Eldred HABERT <stuff@eldred.fr>
To: alsa-devel@alsa-project.org
Subject: Dual simulatenous output on single card not recognized
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:28:05 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello,

I bought a laptop with integrated sound output (either to speakers or
headphones), and a HDMI output. Attached is the output of `aplay -l`.

Under both PipeWire and PulseAudio, I only get a single output/sink (by
default to the built-in output), but I can get simultaneous output to both:
- under PulseAudio, by adding a `load-module module-alsa-sink
device=hw:0,7` line to the config;
- under PipeWire, by adding a profile to the card to enable both
outputs, which correctly provides two outputs that work fine concurrently.

I was directed to this mailing list after the following discussion:

 > It's a kernel ALSA bug if SOF actually must contain enough data for
the driver to figure this out (or at least pass that data on to
userspace to deal with it)
 > if [we are] right that hardware itself does not contain the required
data, then it can only be fixed in userspace via a card database
 > which is one thing to do, another would be maybe a heuristic rule
that attempts to guess if such cards with analog and digital sub-devices
might be independent

Please tell me if more details are needed—it would be nice if hardware
configurations like mine could be fully supported out of the box ^^

Cheers,
~ ISSOtm