All of lore.kernel.org
From: Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>
To: Rajat Jain <rajatja@google.com>
Cc: Sonny.Quintanilla@dell.com,
	Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmermann@suse.de>,
	Mario Limonciello <mario.limonciello@dell.com>,
	David Airlie <airlied@linux.ie>,
	dri-devel <dri-devel@lists.freedesktop.org>,
	Jared Dominguez <jaredz@redhat.com>,
	Mark Pearson <mpearson@lenovo.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 0/1] drm/connector: Add support for privacy-screen properties
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 10:18:31 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On 5/11/20 9:55 PM, Rajat Jain wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 10:47 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com <mailto:hdegoede@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     This RFC takes Rajat's earlier patch for adding privacy-screen properties
>     infra to drm_connector.c and then adds the results of the discussion from
>     the "RFC: Drm-connector properties managed by another driver / privacy
>     screen support" mail thread on top, hence the v2.
>

> Thank you so much for doing this. I was following the said discussion and eventually it became quite complex for me to understand and follow :-)

I hope the new doc text makes things clear again?

>     The most important thing here is big kernel-doc comment which gets added in
>     the first patch-chunk modifying drm_connector.c, this summarizes, or at
>     least tries to summarize, the conclusions of our previous discussion on
>     the userspace API and lays down the ground rules for how the 2 new
>     "privacy-screen sw-state" and  "privacy-screen hw-state" properties are
>     to be used both from the driver side as well as from the userspace side.
>
>     Other then that this modifies Rajat's patch to add 2 properties instead
>     of one, without much other changes.
>
>     Rajat, perhaps you can do a new version of your patch-set integration /
>     using this version of the properties and then if everyone is ok with
>     the proposed userspace API Jani can hopefully merge the whole set
>     through the i915 tree sometime during the 5.9 cycle.
>

> SGTM. I have actually moved to working on something else now, so I will most likely wait for this patch to get merged, before rebasing my other / remaining patches on top of that.

We have the rule that code like this will not be merged until it has at least
one in kernel user. I plan to eventually use this too, but that is still
a while away as I first need to write a lcdshadow subsystem which the
thinkpad_acpi code can then use to register a lcdshadow device; and when
that all is in place, then I can hook it up on the drm code.

So since Jani said your patch-set was more or less ready I think it would
be best if you add my version of this to your patch-set and then post
a new version of your patch-set. But first let me do a v3 addressing
the remarks on doc text. Note I will wait a bit before sending out v3
to see if I get more feedback.

Regards,

Hans