From: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@suse.com>
To: boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com
Cc: xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org,
	Cheyenne Wills <cheyenne.wills@gmail.com>,
	Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
Subject: Re: XSA-351 causing Solaris-11 systems to panic during boot.
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 09:21:27 +0100	[thread overview]

On 18.12.2020 21:43, boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com wrote:
> On 12/17/20 12:49 PM, boris.ostrovsky@oracle.com wrote:

>>> It's hopefully obvious now why we suddenly finished the "lets turn all
>>> unknown MSRs to #GP" work at the point that we did (after dithering on
>>> the point for several years).
>>>
>>> To put it bluntly, default MSR readability was not a clever decision at all.
>>>
>>> There is a large risk that there is a similar vulnerability elsewhere,
>>> given how poorly documented the MSRs are (and one contemporary CPU I've
>>> got the manual open for has more than 6000 *documented* MSRs).  We did
>>> debate for a while whether the readability of the PPIN MSRs was a
>>> vulnerability or not, before eventually deciding not.
>

> Can we do something like KVM's ignore_msrs (but probably return 0 on reads to avoid leaks from the system)? It would allow to deal with cases when a guest is suddenly unable to boot after hypervisor update (especially from pre-4.14). It won't help in all cases since some MSRs may be expected to be non-zero but I think it will cover large number of them. (and it will certainly do what Jan is asking above but will not be specific to this particular breakage)

This would re-introduce the problem with detection (by guests) of certain
features lacking suitable CPUID bits. Guests would no longer observe the
expected #GP(0), and hence be at risk of misbehaving. Hence at the very
least such an option would need to be per-domain rather than (like for
KVM) global, and use of it should then imo be explicitly unsupported. And
along the lines of what KVM has, this may want to be a tristate so the
ignoring can be both silent and verbose.

Jan