From: Romain Naour <romain.naour@smile.fr>
To: Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com>,
	Jugurtha BELKALEM <jugurtha.belkalem@smile.fr>
Cc: buildroot@buildroot.org
Subject: Re: [Buildroot] [PATH v2 1/1] docs/manual: add qemu defconfigs gitlab test
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2022 11:56:54 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Thomas,

Le 15/09/2020 à 16:51, Thomas Petazzoni a écrit :
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 12:38:06 +0200
> Jugurtha BELKALEM <jugurtha.belkalem@smile.fr> wrote:
>
>> +=== Adding qemu defconfig gitlab test
>> +
>> +Buildroot provides a test script (support/scripts/boot-qemu-image.py)
>> +to validate all defconfigs under +board/qemu/. Every supported qemu
>> +architecture should append the comment : # qemu_ARCH_defconfig
>> +at the end of its command line entry in board/qemu/ARCH/readme.txt (for
>> +example aarch64-virt includes : # qemu_aarch64_virt_defconfig).
>> +Once a week, every defconfig is tested under gitlab's pipelines :
>> +* Launches a qemu instance.
>> +* Enters root credentials and checks if login shell is available.
>> +* Powers off the instance.
>> +The job fails if one of above steps returns unsuccessful status code.
>> +to trigger qemu defconfigs test jobs:
>> +
>> +---------------------
>> + $ git push gitlab HEAD:<name>_defconfig
>> +---------------------
>
> While I understand the idea of documenting this, I am wondering if the
> Buildroot manual is really the right place for this. Indeed, this bit
> of documentation is really only useful for the very specific/narrow use
> case of qemu defconfigs.
>
> Should this be in board/qemu/readme.txt ? I'm not sure.

Maybe the manual needs a new chapter about the gitlab-ci in general and document
all pipeline trigger supported.

For a new qemu defconfigs, we need to take care of:

- define "# qemu_ARCH_defconfig" tag in the file board/qemu/ARCH/readme.txt

- Use board/qemu/post-image.sh post image script and provide the name of the
defconfig as argument of this script:
  BR2_ROOTFS_POST_IMAGE_SCRIPT="board/qemu/post-image.sh"
  BR2_ROOTFS_POST_SCRIPT_ARGS="$(BR2_DEFCONFIG)"

- Enable host-qemu to use qemu built by Buildroot for the host:
  BR2_PACKAGE_HOST_QEMU=y
  BR2_PACKAGE_HOST_QEMU_SYSTEM_MODE=y

Being in the manual would promote gitlab-ci testing with Qemu.

Best regards,
Romain