From: Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@lwfinger.net>
To: James <bjlockie@lockie.ca>, Pkshih <pkshih@realtek.com>
Cc: linux-wireless@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: USB for rtw89 driver?
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:42:55 -0600	[thread overview]

On 11/29/21 08:24, James wrote:

>>> Does anyone know if the proprietary driver works on the Raspberry Pi4B
>>> (Arm)?
>>
>> Don't have a proprietary driver neither.
>
> Dlink seems to have added USB support.
> I assumed that is proprietary but I guess that is only x86.
>
> https://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DWA-181-US
>
> There is also an open source USB driver on github  but I don't think it is getting fixes like the lfinger github one.
> https://github.com/neojou/rtw89-usb

The D-Link driver is for the rtl8822bu, not an rtl8852au. That would make it for
rtw88, not rtw89. BTW, it will not compile under kernel 5.16.0-rc3, but the
fixes would be minor.

That driver is the usual collection of junk code published by the Realtek USB
group for years. That code base is used to generate drivers for Windows, Linux,
and FreeBSD.

A group is currently modifying the rtl8188eu driver in staging to convert it
into reasonable Linux shape. This one would take the same effort to make it
suitable.

The basic USB driver in the neojou repo should work, but I do not have an
rtl8852au device.

Larry