On Wed, 2018-10-24 at 09:24 -0600, Tamas K Lengyel wrote: > > A solution to this issue was proposed, whereby Xen synchronises > > siblings > > on vmexit/entry, so we are never executing code in two different > > privilege levels. Getting this working would make it safe to > > continue > > using hyperthreading even in the presence of L1TF. Obviously, its > > going > > to come in perf hit, but compared to disabling hyperthreading, all > > its > > got to do is beat a 60% perf hit to make it the preferable option > > for > > making your system L1TF-proof. > > Could you shed some light what tests were done where that 60% > performance hit was observed? > I don't have any data handy right now, but I have certainly seen hyperthreading being beneficial for performance in more than a few benchmarks and workloads. How much so, this indeed varies *a lot* both with the platform and with the workload itself. That being said, I agree it would be good to have as much data as possible. I'll try to do something about that. > We have performed intensive stress-tests > to confirm this but according to our findings turning off > hyper-threading is actually improving performance on all machines we > tested thus far. > Which is indeed very interesting. But, as we're discussing in the other thread, I would, in your case, do some more measurements, varying the configuration of the system, in order to be absolutely sure you are not hitting some bug or anomaly. Regards, Dario -- <> (Raistlin Majere) ----------------------------------------------------------------- Dario Faggioli, Ph.D, http://about.me/dario.faggioli Software Engineer @ SUSE https://www.suse.com/