Am Mittwoch, 13. Juni 2012, 11:12:15 schrieb Stan Hoeppner: > This is the LSI/3ware firmware default policy Michael, so every user > is safe out-of-the-box. If the BBU/FBU is not present (never > installed), or the control logic determines it is not functioning > properly, the firmware disables writeback caching. > > In absence of paying attention to logs/alerts, one will know pretty > quickly when the BBU has failed, as write performance with many/most > workloads will fall off a cliff. That's good, and I guess every serious raid with bbu behaves the same. I just wanted to make a statement because many people read "maximum performance" and want this then, without understanding the downsides aka "all data can be gone if a crash destroys the right metadata". I get calls from people then whining, and they expect me not yell at them but be friendly, which I don't like ;-) I prefer to not speak about max perf if it means "probably eats your data". Maybe we should always write "set this for max performance" only with secure values, and then extra "and set this for turbo boost, but it eats your data on a crash". Hopefully this helps keeping people from just reading "max perf" and forget about the "eats your data" part. -- mit freundlichen Grüssen, Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc it-management Internet Services: Protéger http://proteger.at [gesprochen: Prot-e-schee] Tel: +43 660 / 415 6531