From: Kjeld Flarup via lttng-dev <lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org>
To: "lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org" <lttng-dev@lists.lttng.org>
Subject: Kernel tracer not available with lttng compiled in
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 12:23:40 +0000	[thread overview]

Hello

I'm trying to get lttng working on an Power PC board

~ # lttng create my-kernel-session --output=/tmp/my-kernel-trace
Spawning a session daemon
Session my-kernel-session created.
Traces will be written in /tmp/my-kernel-trace
~ # lttng list --kernel
Error: Unable to list kernel events: Kernel tracer not available
Error: Command error

Now ALL that I can find when googling this error is that the kernel modules is not loaded.
However I'm not using modules, but compile everything in.

Here is a small extract of what is enabled in my kernel. I have attached the full /proc/config.gz
Am I missing something?

CONFIG_NOP_TRACER=y
CONFIG_HAVE_FUNCTION_TRACER=y
CONFIG_HAVE_FUNCTION_GRAPH_TRACER=y
CONFIG_TRACER_MAX_TRACE=y
CONFIG_CONTEXT_SWITCH_TRACER=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_TRACER=y
CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER=y
CONFIG_FUNCTION_GRAPH_TRACER=y
CONFIG_IRQSOFF_TRACER=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT_TRACER=y
CONFIG_SCHED_TRACER=y
# CONFIG_HWLAT_TRACER is not set
CONFIG_TRACER_SNAPSHOT=y
CONFIG_TRACER_SNAPSHOT_PER_CPU_SWAP=y
# CONFIG_STACK_TRACER is not set

CONFIG_HAVE_KPROBES_ON_FTRACE=y
CONFIG_HAVE_DYNAMIC_FTRACE=y
CONFIG_HAVE_FTRACE_MCOUNT_RECORD=y
CONFIG_FTRACE=y
CONFIG_FTRACE_SYSCALLS=y
CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE=y
CONFIG_FTRACE_MCOUNT_RECORD=y
# CONFIG_FTRACE_STARTUP_TEST is not set

CONFIG_EVENT_TRACING=y
CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS=y
CONFIG_HAVE_SYSCALL_TRACEPOINTS=y

CONFIG_KRETPROBES=y

CONFIG_HIGH_RES_TIMERS=y
CONFIG_TRACEPOINTS=y
CONFIG_TRACE_IRQFLAGS_SUPPORT=y
# CONFIG_TRACE_SINK is not set
CONFIG_TRACE_IRQFLAGS=y
CONFIG_TRACE_CLOCK=y
CONFIG_TRACE_PREEMPT_TOGGLE=y
CONFIG_TRACER_SNAPSHOT=y
CONFIG_TRACER_SNAPSHOT_PER_CPU_SWAP=y
# CONFIG_TRACEPOINT_BENCHMARK is not set
# CONFIG_TRACE_EVAL_MAP_FILE is not set
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
# CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL is not set
CONFIG_KALLSYMS_BASE_RELATIVE=y