* KVM success
@ 2007-02-17 12:49 Javier Smaldone
       [not found] ` <9519b49c0702170449q42e31d2at56cf67d5ffba22bb-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Javier Smaldone @ 2007-02-17 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi everybody.

I've successfully installed kvm and two guests OSs on my PC. Here is
the full description:

Host system
-------------------

- CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2 Ghz)
- RAM: 448 Mb DDR2 533 Mhz
- Video: Via UniChrome K8M890 (64Mb)
- OS: Debian etch (amd64, 64 bits)
- Kernel: Linux 2.6.20
- X: Xorg 7.1.1 + OpenChrome driver (DRI not enabled)
- KVM release 12

Guest OS 1
-----------------

- Debian etch (i386, 32 bits)
- Installation method: netinstall (businesscard ISO image)

Installation issues:

The installation finished OK, but at first reboot qemu crashes. This
is due the K7 optimized kernel selected by the Debian installer.
Replaced by the Debian 686 kernel and everything works fine.

Guest OS 2
-----------------

- Windows XP SP2 (5.1.2600, 32 bits)
- Installation method: cdrom ISO image

Installation issues:

After the initial install stage (text-mode based) where the
installation files are copied to the target partition, reboot failed
givin a "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR". Ignore that. Just change the qemu
parameter to "-boot c" and continue the setup.

Now, I'll play a little with soundcard and network emulation in both
guest OSs. I'll write another post reporting my findings (or maybe
asking for help).

Cheers!

--
Javier Smaldone
javier-8CiOxhOzEHeH0oMTQjrRWA@public.gmane.org

* Re: KVM success
       [not found] ` <9519b49c0702170449q42e31d2at56cf67d5ffba22bb-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-02-18 10:07   ` Avi Kivity
       [not found]     ` <45D8256D.2080406-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-18 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Smaldone; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Javier Smaldone wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I've successfully installed kvm and two guests OSs on my PC. Here is
> the full description:
>

> Host system
> -------------------
>
> - CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2 Ghz)
> - RAM: 448 Mb DDR2 533 Mhz
> - Video: Via UniChrome K8M890 (64Mb)
> - OS: Debian etch (amd64, 64 bits)
> - Kernel: Linux 2.6.20
> - X: Xorg 7.1.1 + OpenChrome driver (DRI not enabled)
> - KVM release 12
>
> Guest OS 1
> -----------------
>
> - Debian etch (i386, 32 bits)
> - Installation method: netinstall (businesscard ISO image)
>
> Installation issues:
>
> The installation finished OK, but at first reboot qemu crashes. This
> is due the K7 optimized kernel selected by the Debian installer.
> Replaced by the Debian 686 kernel and everything works fine.
>
> Guest OS 2
> -----------------
>
> - Windows XP SP2 (5.1.2600, 32 bits)
> - Installation method: cdrom ISO image
>
> Installation issues:
>
> After the initial install stage (text-mode based) where the
> installation files are copied to the target partition, reboot failed
> givin a "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR". Ignore that. Just change the qemu
> parameter to "-boot c" and continue the setup.

Thanks for the report!  Note that guest reboots on AMD hosts should work
with kvm-13.

* Re: KVM success
       [not found]     ` <45D8256D.2080406-atKUWr5tajBWk0Htik3J/w@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-02-18 10:13       ` Javier Smaldone
       [not found]         ` <9519b49c0702180213s12c6104bu868aaa68b45ecf89-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Javier Smaldone @ 2007-02-18 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Will linux 2.6.20 work with kvm-13? (The kvm wiki says I must use kvm-12)

--

@ 2007-02-18 10:15           ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2007-02-18 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Javier Smaldone; +Cc: kvm-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Javier Smaldone wrote:
> Will linux 2.6.20 work with kvm-13? (The kvm wiki says I must use kvm-12)

No. kvm-13 will work with 2.6.20-rc1 and later.  It will also work with
current git if you're brave.

You can also use the external module provided with kvm-13 with any kernel.