From: Jake Thomas <thomasj10@georgefox.edu>
To: "kvm@vger.kernel.org" <kvm@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: VT-X Locking Bit Flip in Real Mode?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:24:55 -0700	[thread overview]

I'm no expert on the subject, but I know that real mode doesn't have any "protections" in place yet like protected mode does. These "protections" are the processor preventing programs from doing certain things, and I was wondering if one of those things is flipping that VT-X locking bit.

In real mode things haven't been set in stone yet. There's more flexibility. From real mode the processor can go into one mode or another. But once you go out of real mode, you can't come back without a power cycle. Given the flexibility and "unsetness" of real mode, still being able to flip that bit goes with the theme of real mode in my mind.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone