On 08/07/2020 14:17, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote: > On 08/07/2020 14:07, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote: >> On 08/07/2020 12:42, Vladimir Oltean wrote: >>> On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 12:16:27PM +0300, Nikolay Aleksandrov wrote: >>>> On 08/07/2020 12:04, Vladimir Oltean wrote: [snip] >>>> >>> >>> Thanks, Nikolay. >>> Isn't mdb_modify() already netlink-based? I think you're talking about >>> some changes to 'struct br_mdb_entry' which would be necessary. What >>> changes would be needed, do you know (both in the 'workaround' case as >>> well as in 'fully netlink')? >>> >>> -Vladimir >>> >> >> That is netlink-based, but the uAPI (used also for add/del/dump) uses a fixed-size struct >> which is very inconvenient and hard to extend. I plan to add MDBv2 which uses separate >> netlink attributes and can be easily extended as we plan to add some new features and will >> need that flexibility. It will use a new container attribute for the notifications as well. >> >> In the workaround case IIRC you'd have to add a new protocol type to denote the L2 routes, and > > Actually drop the whole /workaround/ comment altogether. It can be implemented fairly straight-forward > even with the struct we got now. You don't need any new attributes. > I just had forgotten the details and spoke too quickly. :) > >> re-work the lookup logic to include L2 in non-IP case. You'd have to edit the multicast fast-path, >> and everything else that assumes the frame has to be IP/IPv6. I'm sure I'm missing some details as >> last I did this was over an year ago where I made a quick and dirty hack that implemented it with proto = 0 >> to denote an L2 entry just as a proof of concept. >> Also you would have to make sure all of that is compatible with current user-space code. For example >> iproute2/bridge/mdb.c considers that proto can be only IPv4 or IPv6 if it's not v4, i.e. it will >> print the new L2 entries as :: IPv6 entries until it's fixed. >> >> Obviously some of the items for the workaround case are valid in all cases for L2 routes (e.g. fast-path/lookup edit). >> But I think it's not that hard to implement without affecting the fast path much or even at all. >> >> Cheers, >> Nik >> I found the patch and rebased it against net-next. I want to stress that it is unfinished and barely tested, it was just a hack to enable L2 entries and forwarding. If you're interested and find it useful please feel free to take it over as I don't have time right now. Thanks, Nik