* Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-12 17:23 Bastian, Waldo
From: Bastian, Waldo @ 2010-08-12 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Modem drivers that support Online / offline mode default to offline when oFono loads them. Which component is responsible for calling oFono and switch the modem to online mode? Will that component be part of MeeGo?

Cheers,

Waldo

--

Intel Corporation - Hillsboro, Oregon

Ultra Mobility Group - Platform Software Architecture

Tel: +1 503 264 6237 - Mobile: +1 503 703-7327

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 3467 bytes --]

* Re: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-12 17:37 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2010-08-12 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Waldo,

On 08/12/2010 12:23 PM, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> Modem drivers that support Online / offline mode default to offline when
> oFono loads them. Which component is responsible for calling oFono and
> switch the modem to online mode? Will that component be part of MeeGo?

This feature is still highly experimental and not all of the details
have been figured out (only ISI supports it today).

Our current thinking is to have ConnMan manage the Online state of the
GSM modems (e.g. replace Powered handling with Online handling.)
However, we're still pretty far from that; we'd need to migrate all
existing modem drivers to manage Online/Offline state properly first.

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-12 18:06   ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2010-08-12 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Waldo,

> > Modem drivers that support Online / offline mode default to offline when
> > oFono loads them. Which component is responsible for calling oFono and
> > switch the modem to online mode? Will that component be part of MeeGo?
>
> This feature is still highly experimental and not all of the details
> have been figured out (only ISI supports it today).
>
> Our current thinking is to have ConnMan manage the Online state of the
> GSM modems (e.g. replace Powered handling with Online handling.)
> However, we're still pretty far from that; we'd need to migrate all
> existing modem drivers to manage Online/Offline state properly first.

I agree with Denis here. The Online state needs to be controlled by
ConnMan, but we haven't done that change yet. It would break current
users since we haven't migrated all modems to handle Online state
properly or emulate it if needed.

Regards

Marcel

* RE: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-12 22:02     ` Bastian, Waldo
From: Bastian, Waldo @ 2010-08-12 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

>>> Modem drivers that support Online / offline mode default to offline when
>>> oFono loads them. Which component is responsible for calling oFono and
>>> switch the modem to online mode? Will that component be part of MeeGo?
>>
>>This feature is still highly experimental and not all of the details
>>have been figured out (only ISI supports it today).
>>
>>Our current thinking is to have ConnMan manage the Online state of the
>>GSM modems (e.g. replace Powered handling with Online handling.)
>>However, we're still pretty far from that; we'd need to migrate all
>>existing modem drivers to manage Online/Offline state properly first.
>
>I agree with Denis here. The Online state needs to be controlled by
>ConnMan, but we haven't done that change yet. It would break current
>users since we haven't migrated all modems to handle Online state
>properly or emulate it if needed.

My understanding was that the Online state would be initialized by a component like Telepathy-ring or some sort of system management daemon to ensure that the dialer is up and running and able to accept calls before the Online state is entered. If ConnMan initializes the Online state, how is it ensured that all required clients (Dialer, SMS, etc.) have registered already?

Cheers,
Waldo

* RE: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-12 23:27       ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2010-08-12 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Waldo,

> >>This feature is still highly experimental and not all of the details
> >>have been figured out (only ISI supports it today).
> >>
> >>Our current thinking is to have ConnMan manage the Online state of the
> >>GSM modems (e.g. replace Powered handling with Online handling.)
> >>However, we're still pretty far from that; we'd need to migrate all
> >>existing modem drivers to manage Online/Offline state properly first.
> >
> >I agree with Denis here. The Online state needs to be controlled by
> >ConnMan, but we haven't done that change yet. It would break current
> >users since we haven't migrated all modems to handle Online state
> >properly or emulate it if needed.
>
> My understanding was that the Online state would be initialized by a component like Telepathy-ring or some sort of system management daemon to ensure that the dialer is up and running and able to accept calls before the Online state is entered. If ConnMan initializes the Online state, how is it ensured that all required clients (Dialer, SMS, etc.) have registered already?

ConnMan has control over the flight mode and thus is has control over
the online state. If it happens that ConnMan switches the modem online
and call gets received before the dialer is running, then it might time
out in the end. And that is just fine with me.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-13  8:02   ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2010-08-13  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com> writes:

> On 08/12/2010 12:23 PM, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>> Modem drivers that support Online / offline mode default to offline when
>> oFono loads them. Which component is responsible for calling oFono and
>> switch the modem to online mode? Will that component be part of MeeGo?
>
> This feature is still highly experimental and not all of the details
> have been figured out (only ISI supports it today).
>
> Our current thinking is to have ConnMan manage the Online state of the
> GSM modems (e.g. replace Powered handling with Online handling.)
> However, we're still pretty far from that; we'd need to migrate all
> existing modem drivers to manage Online/Offline state properly first.

As online state is not supported by connman yet, ofono should default to
online state until connman support is finished. For example, now it's
impossible to use N900 as a modem with connman because the modem is in
offline state.

Will you accept patches to ofono to change the default state? It can be
reverted once the connman support is finished.

--
Kalle Valo

* Re: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-13  8:45       ` Pekka Pessi
From: Pekka Pessi @ 2010-08-13  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

2010/8/13 Bastian, Waldo <waldo.bastian@intel.com>:
> My understanding was that the Online state would be initialized by a component like Telepathy-ring or some sort of system management daemon to ensure that the dialer is up and running and able to accept calls before the Online state is entered. If ConnMan initializes the Online state, how is it ensured that all required clients (Dialer, SMS, etc.) have registered already?

I'd propose the connman would delay the transition of ofono modems to
the online until the tp-ring/dialer has registered with ofono modem.
The VoiceCallManager would need some kind of
"RegisterCallHandler"method and add the list of the registered call
handlers as a property. I suppose this would concern only the
voice-centric devices.

Pekka.Pessi mail at nokia.com

* Re: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-13 12:55         ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2010-08-13 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Pekka,

> > My understanding was that the Online state would be initialized by a component like Telepathy-ring or some sort of system management daemon to ensure that the dialer is up and running and able to accept calls before the Online state is entered. If ConnMan initializes the Online state, how is it ensured that all required clients (Dialer, SMS, etc.) have registered already?
>
> I'd propose the connman would delay the transition of ofono modems to
> the online until the tp-ring/dialer has registered with ofono modem.
> The VoiceCallManager would need some kind of
> "RegisterCallHandler"method and add the list of the registered call
> handlers as a property. I suppose this would concern only the
> voice-centric devices.

this sounds rather complicated and I don't wanna have a dependency for
tp-ring here in the mix. Also I think this is more a theoretical problem
than a real one. tp-ring needs to check for the current ringing calls
anyway and can just pick where it left off. So lets talk about this once
we cross this bridge.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-13 15:03     ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2010-08-13 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Kalle,

On 08/13/2010 03:02 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
> Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 08/12/2010 12:23 PM, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>>> Modem drivers that support Online / offline mode default to offline when
>>> oFono loads them. Which component is responsible for calling oFono and
>>> switch the modem to online mode? Will that component be part of MeeGo?
>>
>> This feature is still highly experimental and not all of the details
>> have been figured out (only ISI supports it today).
>>
>> Our current thinking is to have ConnMan manage the Online state of the
>> GSM modems (e.g. replace Powered handling with Online handling.)
>> However, we're still pretty far from that; we'd need to migrate all
>> existing modem drivers to manage Online/Offline state properly first.
>
> As online state is not supported by connman yet, ofono should default to
> online state until connman support is finished. For example, now it's
> impossible to use N900 as a modem with connman because the modem is in
> offline state.
>
> Will you accept patches to ofono to change the default state? It can be
> reverted once the connman support is finished.

I'd be fine with that in the interim.

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-13 18:19       ` Pekka Pessi
From: Pekka Pessi @ 2010-08-13 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi all,

2010/8/13 Denis Kenzior <denkenz@gmail.com>:
>> As online state is not supported by connman yet, ofono should default to
>> online state until connman support is finished. For example, now it's
>> impossible to use N900 as a modem with connman because the modem is in
>> offline state.
>>
>> Will you accept patches to ofono to change the default state? It can be
>> reverted once the connman support is finished.

> I'd be fine with that in the interim.

FYI, I've submitted online patches against the ofono plugin to the
connman list. It seems to work fine with my N900 and isimodem driver,
scratching Kalle's most immediate itches.

Pekka.Pessi mail at nokia.com

* Re: Startup sequence for Online / offline mode
@ 2010-08-18  7:57         ` Kalle Valo
From: Kalle Valo @ 2010-08-18  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono