* [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-03 15:18 Morten Brørup
From: Morten Brørup @ 2021-06-03 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev

Hi all,

Bugfix releases are missing on code.dpdk.org.

E.g. version 17.11 is present, but version 17.11.10 is missing.

Can whoever is the maintainer of code.dpdk.org please fix this.

-Morten

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-03 16:10 ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-06-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: dev, alialnu

03/06/2021 17:18, Morten Brørup:
> Hi all,
>
> Bugfix releases are missing on code.dpdk.org.
>
> E.g. version 17.11 is present, but version 17.11.10 is missing.
>
> Can whoever is the maintainer of code.dpdk.org please fix this.

Ali is the admin of dpdk.org.
I'm not sure your request is easy because stable releases
are in a separate repository dpdk-stable.git.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-03 18:15   ` Morten Brørup
> > Bugfix releases are missing on code.dpdk.org.
> >
> > E.g. version 17.11 is present, but version 17.11.10 is missing.
> >
> > Can whoever is the maintainer of code.dpdk.org please fix this.
>
> Ali is the admin of dpdk.org.
> I'm not sure your request is easy because stable releases
> are in a separate repository dpdk-stable.git.

Ali, it would be great if you can include them. Not having easy access to browse the source code of the LTS bugfix releases could be a barrier for DPDK users to upgrade to the latest LTS bugfix release.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-03 19:18     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-06-03 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > > Bugfix releases are missing on code.dpdk.org.
> > >
> > > E.g. version 17.11 is present, but version 17.11.10 is missing.
> > >
> > > Can whoever is the maintainer of code.dpdk.org please fix this.
> >
> > Ali is the admin of dpdk.org.
> > I'm not sure your request is easy because stable releases
> > are in a separate repository dpdk-stable.git.
>
> Ali, it would be great if you can include them.
> Not having easy access to browse the source code of the LTS
> bugfix releases could be a barrier for DPDK users to upgrade
> to the latest LTS bugfix release.

Actually it's already included (thanks Ali for reminding it to me):
	https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/v20.11/source

There are 2 different repos and that's how it is exposed in this tool.
It may be a bit confusing.
Do you think it would be OK to rename dpdk-stable to dpdk in this tool?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-03 19:36       ` Morten Brørup

> > > Ali is the admin of dpdk.org.
> > > I'm not sure your request is easy because stable releases
> > > are in a separate repository dpdk-stable.git.
> >
> > Ali, it would be great if you can include them.
> > Not having easy access to browse the source code of the LTS
> > bugfix releases could be a barrier for DPDK users to upgrade
> > to the latest LTS bugfix release.
>
> Actually it's already included (thanks Ali for reminding it to me):
> 	https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/v20.11/source
>
> There are 2 different repos and that's how it is exposed in this tool.

Great... It was just me not knowing where to click. We learn something new every day!

> It may be a bit confusing.
> Do you think it would be OK to rename dpdk-stable to dpdk in this tool?

Having learned that the box saying "dpdk" is a dropdown, I headed over to my favorite Linux source code browser at Bootlin. And they already have what I was asking for: https://elixir.bootlin.com/dpdk/latest/source

And they call it "dpdk", not "dpdk-stable"... so I support Thomas' suggestion here. Or alternatively: https://code.dpdk.org/ currently redirects to https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk/latest/source. Perhaps it could redirect to https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/latest/source instead.

Now, I have another question: What does code.dpdk.org show for "dpdk" that it does not show for "dpdk-stable"?

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-04  7:00       ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2021-06-04  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Ali Alnubani; +Cc: Morten Brørup, dev

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 9:18 PM Thomas Monjalon <thomas@monjalon.net> wrote:

> 03/06/2021 20:15, Morten Brørup:

If we do this, in the current state, we lose the non-stable branches.

19.02 and 19.05 (at least) are not present in the dpdk-stable part.
http://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/v19.11.8/source

Not sure how to fix this, do we simply need to push release tags to dpdk-stable?

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-04  7:03         ` Morten Brørup

> > > Ali, it would be great if you can include them.
> > > Not having easy access to browse the source code of the LTS
> > > bugfix releases could be a barrier for DPDK users to upgrade
> > > to the latest LTS bugfix release.
> >
> > Actually it's already included (thanks Ali for reminding it to me):
> >         https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/v20.11/source
> >
> > There are 2 different repos and that's how it is exposed in this
> tool.
> > It may be a bit confusing.
> > Do you think it would be OK to rename dpdk-stable to dpdk in this
> tool?
>
> If we do this, in the current state, we lose the non-stable branches.
>
> 19.02 and 19.05 (at least) are not present in the dpdk-stable part.
> http://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/v19.11.8/source

And even worse, 21.xx are also not present in the dpdk-stable part.

@ 2021-06-04  8:12         ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-06-04  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > > Ali, it would be great if you can include them.
> > > Not having easy access to browse the source code of the LTS
> > > bugfix releases could be a barrier for DPDK users to upgrade
> > > to the latest LTS bugfix release.
> >
> > Actually it's already included (thanks Ali for reminding it to me):
> > 	https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/v20.11/source
> >
> > There are 2 different repos and that's how it is exposed in this tool.
>
> Great... It was just me not knowing where to click. We learn something new every day!
>
> > It may be a bit confusing.
> > Do you think it would be OK to rename dpdk-stable to dpdk in this tool?
>
> Having learned that the box saying "dpdk" is a dropdown, I headed over to my favorite Linux source code browser at Bootlin. And they already have what I was asking for: https://elixir.bootlin.com/dpdk/latest/source
>
> And they call it "dpdk", not "dpdk-stable"... so I support Thomas' suggestion here.

No, what is in bootlin instance is really dpdk, not dpdk-stable.

> Or alternatively: https://code.dpdk.org/ currently redirects to https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk/latest/source. Perhaps it could redirect to https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/latest/source instead.
>
> Now, I have another question: What does code.dpdk.org show for "dpdk" that it does not show for "dpdk-stable"?

stable releases are only in dpdk-stable but everything is in dpdk-stable.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-04  8:19           ` Morten Brørup

> missing.

> this.

> > > Actually it's already included (thanks Ali for reminding it to me):
> > > 	https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/v20.11/source
> > >
> > > There are 2 different repos and that's how it is exposed in this
> tool.
> >
> > Great... It was just me not knowing where to click. We learn
> something new every day!
> >
> > > It may be a bit confusing.
> > > Do you think it would be OK to rename dpdk-stable to dpdk in this
> tool?
> >
> > Having learned that the box saying "dpdk" is a dropdown, I headed
> over to my favorite Linux source code browser at Bootlin. And they
> already have what I was asking for:
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/dpdk/latest/source
> >
> > And they call it "dpdk", not "dpdk-stable"... so I support Thomas'
> suggestion here.
>
> No, what is in bootlin instance is really dpdk, not dpdk-stable.

You are right. I got confused because they also showed the -rc releases.

> > Or alternatively: https://code.dpdk.org/ currently redirects to
> https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk/latest/source. Perhaps it could redirect to
> https://code.dpdk.org/dpdk-stable/latest/source instead.
> >
> > Now, I have another question: What does code.dpdk.org show for "dpdk"
> that it does not show for "dpdk-stable"?
>
> stable releases are only in dpdk-stable but everything is in dpdk-
> stable.

If you meant "dpdk" (not "dpdk-stable") at the end of that sentence, then "dpdk" at code.dpdk.org should show many more tags, as I originally requested.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-04  8:47             ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-06-04  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup; +Cc: Ali Alnubani, dev, david.marchand

04/06/2021 10:19, Morten Brørup:
> > From: dev [mailto:dev-bounces@dpdk.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Monjalon
> > > Now, I have another question: What does code.dpdk.org show for "dpdk"
> > that it does not show for "dpdk-stable"?
> >
> > stable releases are only in dpdk-stable but everything is in dpdk-
> > stable.
>
> If you meant "dpdk" (not "dpdk-stable") at the end of that sentence, then "dpdk" at code.dpdk.org should show many more tags, as I originally requested.

No I meant dpdk-stable :)
In DPDK we have base releases,
in dpdk-stable we have the maintained base releases and the minor stable releases.
At the end, we don't have all tags in a single repo.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-04  9:14               ` Morten Brørup
> "dpdk"
> > > that it does not show for "dpdk-stable"?
> > >
> > > stable releases are only in dpdk-stable but everything is in dpdk-
> > > stable.
> >
> > If you meant "dpdk" (not "dpdk-stable") at the end of that sentence,
> then "dpdk" at code.dpdk.org should show many more tags, as I
> originally requested.
>
> No I meant dpdk-stable :)
> In DPDK we have base releases,
> in dpdk-stable we have the maintained base releases and the minor
> stable releases.
> At the end, we don't have all tags in a single repo.

OK. Now I get it!

Then code.dpdk.org probably works as intended. It was just me being confused about it, because I'm used to a mono-repo world. "It's a feature, not a bug."

I guess it would be difficult to merge the data from the two repos into one big code.dpdk.org source code browser. Which was your first response to my original request, Thomas. Ali, what do you think?

@ 2021-06-07 12:49                 ` Ali Alnubani
From: Ali Alnubani @ 2021-06-07 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup, NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon; +Cc: dev, david.marchand

Hi,

I don't think it's too difficult to merge the tags of both repos under a single project in code.dpdk.org. Will need to verify though.
Let me know if you think it's better to do so.

Thanks,
Ali

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-08  9:57                   ` Morten Brørup
                                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Morten Brørup @ 2021-06-08  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Alnubani, NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon, david.marchand,
	Luca Boccassi, Kevin Traynor
+ Stable maintainers: Luca Boccassi, Kevin Traynor.

As a frequent user of code.dpdk.org, I think it would be great.

Thomas, David, Luca and Kevin, do any of you oppose to code.dpdk.org showing both the "dpdk" and the "dpdk-stable" repos merged together as one project, if Ali can do it?

@ 2021-06-08 10:23                     ` Thomas Monjalon
From: Thomas Monjalon @ 2021-06-08 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Alnubani, david.marchand, Luca Boccassi, Kevin Traynor,
	Morten Brørup
  Cc: dev

08/06/2021 11:57, Morten Brørup:
> + Stable maintainers: Luca Boccassi, Kevin Traynor.

I am OK with such change.

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-08 10:35                     ` Kevin Traynor
From: Kevin Traynor @ 2021-06-08 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup, Ali Alnubani, NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon,
	david.marchand, Luca Boccassi, xuemingl, Christian Ehrhardt
  Cc: dev

+Cc: Christian and Steven

On 08/06/2021 10:57, Morten Brørup wrote:
> + Stable maintainers: Luca Boccassi, Kevin Traynor.

It seems all the info there, but the request is to have it combined on
the front page to avoid knowing to switch from dpdk->dpdk-stable? No
objection, it seems helpful, if low priority.

@ 2021-06-08 12:09                     ` David Marchand
From: David Marchand @ 2021-06-08 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Brørup
  Cc: Ali Alnubani, NBU-Contact-Thomas Monjalon, Luca Boccassi,
	Kevin Traynor, dev

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 11:58 AM Morten Brørup <mb@smartsharesystems.com> wrote:
> As a frequent user of code.dpdk.org, I think it would be great.
>
> Thomas, David, Luca and Kevin, do any of you oppose to code.dpdk.org showing both the "dpdk" and the "dpdk-stable" repos merged together as one project, if Ali can do it?

I exchanged with Ali on some details, it does not seem that difficult
to implement.
No objection, it seems less confusing for users.

--
David Marchand

* Re: [dpdk-dev] code.dpdk.org bugfix releases
@ 2021-06-08 13:42                       ` Luca Boccassi
From: Luca Boccassi @ 2021-06-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Monjalon, Ali Alnubani, david.marchand, Kevin Traynor,
	Morten Brørup
  Cc: dev

On Tue, 2021-06-08 at 12:23 +0200, Thomas Monjalon wrote:
> 08/06/2021 11:57, Morten Brørup:
> > + Stable maintainers: Luca Boccassi, Kevin Traynor.

Sounds good to me too - thanks!

--
Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi