From: Daniel Bristot de Oliveira <bristot@redhat.com>
To: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Cc: Masami Hiramatsu <mhiramat@kernel.org>,
	Tom Zanussi <zanussi@kernel.org>,
	LKML <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Enable histograms for events/ftrace/timerlat and osnoise
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 14:37:11 +0200	[thread overview]

On 3/24/23 17:13, Daniel Bristot de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi Steven
>
> I would like to collect histograms from timerlat and osnoise tracers event,
> but I cannot collect them because they are not tracepoints but... tracer
> events. So...
>
>   # ls /sys/kernel/tracing/events/ftrace/timerlat/
>   format	hist
>
> no hist, filter, trigger files...

Ooop, the hist file exists, what is missing is the trigger file, which is
used to enable the histogram...

it seems that the "limitation" is around TRACE_EVENT_FL_IGNORE_ENABLE flag, and
the fact that ftrace events cannot be enabled/disabled...

but wait, as the hist file exist, is there any other way to enable
the histogram? (or should we disable hist files for !TRACE_EVENT_FL_IGNORE_ENABLE)?

am I missing something?