* [KJ] Basics of linux kernel development.
@ 2007-02-14 14:10 RIz Khan
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: RIz Khan @ 2007-02-14 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have an interview at symantec and i need to knw about Linux kernel development using C. I have done prgramming in C++ but in windows enviorment but i dont kknw nothing about linux and especially about kernel development. I would be greatfull if u can tell me something about it and recomend me a vry vry basic book.
Regards
Saad ALI

* Re: [KJ] Basics of linux kernel development.
@ 2007-02-14 14:35 ` Douglas Landgraf
From: Douglas Landgraf @ 2007-02-14 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Hi Riz,

I suggest to you:

*Linux Kernel Development (2nd Edition)*
http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Kernel-Development-Novell-Press/dp/0672327201

*Linux Kernel in a Nutshell*
http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Kernel-Nutshell-OReilly/dp/0596100795/sr=1-2/qid=1171463449/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-9963804-6300748?ie=UTF8&s=books

Online version ( Linux Kernel In a Nutshell )
http://kroah.com/lkn/

Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Douglas Schilling Landgraf

@ 2007-02-14 14:36   ` Jesper Juhl
From: Jesper Juhl @ 2007-02-14 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RIz Khan
  Cc: kernel-janitors, greg, kpm, gregkh, mathieu.desnoyers, linux-kernel

On 14/02/07, RIz Khan <holysinn3r@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
> I have an interview at symantec and i need to knw about Linux kernel
> development using C. I have done prgramming in C++ but in windows enviorment
> but i dont kknw nothing about linux and especially about kernel development.
> I would be greatfull if u can tell me something about it and recomend me a
> vry vry basic book.

So you want to learn a new programming language (C), a new operating
system (Linux) and dive into kernel development as well, all at the
same time - that's no small task :)

As for the C language bit, starting with K&R's "The C programming
language, second edition" is not a bad place to start.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Programming-Language-2nd/dp/0131103628/sr=8-1/qid=1171463251/ref=pd_ka_1/203-7856448-7676754?ie=UTF8&s=books

As for the linux kernel, "Linux Kernel Development, second edition"by
Robert Love is a good introduction that gives a good overview of most
aspects of the kernel.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Kernel-Development-Novell-Press/dp/0672327201/sr=1-1/qid=1171463315/ref=sr_1_1/203-7856448-7676754?ie=UTF8&s=books
You probably also want to read the file Documentation/HOWTO in the
Linux kernel source dir (as well as all the files it refers you to -
an online copy can be read here:
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/HOWTO

And probably also won't hurt you to read "Linux in a Nutshell" by
Ellen Siever, Aaron Weber & Stephen Figgins if you want a good general
Linux reference.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Nutshell-OReilly-Ellen-Siever/dp/0596009305/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/203-7856448-7676754

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

From: Jesper Juhl @ 2007-02-14 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RIz Khan
  Cc: kernel-janitors, greg, kpm, gregkh, mathieu.desnoyers, linux-kernel

http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-Programming-Language-2nd/dp/0131103628/sr=8-1/qid\x1171463251/ref=pd_ka_1/203-7856448-7676754?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Kernel-Development-Novell-Press/dp/0672327201/sr=1-1/qid\x1171463315/ref=sr_1_1/203-7856448-7676754?ie=UTF8&s=books

@ 2007-02-14 18:30 ` walter harms
From: walter harms @ 2007-02-14 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

RIz Khan wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madam,
> I have an interview at symantec and i need to knw about Linux kernel development using C. I have done prgramming in C++ but in windows enviorment but i dont kknw nothing about linux and especially about kernel development. I would be greatfull if u can tell me something about it and recomend me a vry vry basic book.
> Regards
> Saad ALI

bevor starting with kernel development a good understand what you "customers" do is needed.

e.g.:
"Linux Application Development"  http://www.danlj.org/lad/

and for starters:
"beginning linux programming" (IMHO very complet )

and before start paying ...
http://www.techbooksforfree.com/linux.shtml