From: demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com>
To: "Paul Vincent Craven" <paul@cravenfamily.com>
Cc: git@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Question with git push
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:37:47 +0100	[thread overview]

2008/12/23 Paul Vincent Craven <paul@cravenfamily.com>:
> If I do a 'git push' to another repository, my changes are reverted
> the next time that repository is updated, unless I do a hard reset on
> the remote repository first.

Or just git checkout -f

> Of course, then I would lose my changes
> in the remote repository. What is the correct way of handling this?

I think the general practice is not to push to non-bare repositories
unless you and the owner of the repository can coordinate things. This
either means you push and then tell them, or they set up a
post-receive hook (and understand the consequences of doing so). Of
course often you are both of these people and coordination is easy.

The post-receive hook would go in .git/hooks and would effectively execute:

  git checkout -f

on push. However this also means that the working directory will be
unilaterally updated every time someone pushes. Not something you want
to do in a truely shared non-bare repo.
Yves