On 2/16/10, Alan Jenkins wrote: > On 2/15/10, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote: >> On Tuesday 09 February 2010, Alan Jenkins wrote: >>> Perhaps I spoke too soon. I see the same hang if I run too many >>> applications. The first hibernation fails with "not enough swap" as >>> expected, but the second or third attempt hangs (with the same backtrace >>> as before). >>> >>> The patch definitely helps though. Without the patch, I see a hang the >>> first time I try to hibernate with too many applications running. >> >> Well, I have an idea. >> >> Can you try to apply the appended patch in addition and see if that >> helps? >> >> Rafael > > It doesn't seem to help. To be clear: It doesn't stop the hang when I hibernate with too many applications. It does stop the same hang in a different case though. 1. boot with init=/bin/bash 2. run s2disk 3. cancel the s2disk 4. repeat steps 2&3 With the patch, I can run 10s of iterations, with no hang. Without the patch, it soon hangs, (in disable_nonboot_cpus(), as always). That's what happens on 2.6.33-rc7. On 2.6.30, there is no problem. On 2.6.31 and 2.6.32 I don't get a hang, but dmesg shows an allocation failure after a couple of iterations ("kthreadd: page allocation failure. order:1, mode:0xd0"). It looks like it might be the same stop_machine thread allocation failure that causes the hang. Regards Alan