All of lore.kernel.org
From: John Crispin <john@phrozen.org>
To: Sander Vanheule <sander@svanheule.net>,
	Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org>, Rob Herring <robh+dt@kernel.org>,
	Birger Koblitz <mail@birger-koblitz.de>
Cc: Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@arm.com>,
	Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@google.com>,
	Bert Vermeulen <bert@biot.com>,
	Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, devicetree@vger.kernel.org,
	Frank Rowand <frowand.list@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: realtek,rtl-intc IRQ mapping broken on 5.16-rc1
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 22:11:15 +0100	[thread overview]

On 21.11.21 21:33, Sander Vanheule wrote:
> Alternatively, a second compatible could perhaps be introduced and the current
> one would be deprecated, using (2) to prevent breaking 5.16+ kernels. I don't
> think that's really worth the effort though.
>
> Best,

Hey,

I think that what Marc proposed as (1) is the clean solution. We want to
describe the HW as it exists. Yes we have zero docs, and the RLT 2.6 sdk
kernel is a pain to extract info from, yet we should move fwd with a
clean implementation.

breaking pseudo owrt dts ABI is imho acceptable. owrt users are well
able to reflash their units from uboot, they are at the end flying
without wings on bleeding edge. asking for some backward compat for a
de-facto broken dts mapping of the HW is imho a no-go.

	John