* Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-04 14:52 Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-04 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: patrick, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

We have some user defined host settings which we are presently keeping it
in phosphor-settings-manager and the associated pldm bios attributes are
there in the pldm BIOS table. Few properties in the object hosted by the
phosphor-settings-manager are read-only for out of band but through in-band
it can be changed.

For example; the IP origin (static/dhcp) in the below commit.
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30205/

UseCase: The redfish client will set the hypervisor IP address via bmcweb.
This will be taken to the hypervisor via pldm. Once the system is powered
on, the hypervisor will apply the IP address to its Ethernet Interface.
Properties like IPAddress, SubnetMask, Gateway are having one to one
mapping in the PLDM BIOS attr table and Dbus object properties, Now concern
here is on the Origin property which PLDM reads as sensor from Hypervisor.

We have two views on this scenario.
View 1: These are not suitable to be stored in the existing
phopsphor-settings-manager since these are not the writable out-of-band
user settings.
View 2: These sensors can be part of this settings table, can be considered
as a read-only attribute for the out-of-band access. These can be writable
to the host.

I understand that there are some efforts going on by Intel to come up with
internal Bios settings table but this problem is agnostic to whether we
keep the data in settings Dbus object or in the new app which is array of
key-value pairs.

Below are the two solutions which i can think of:
1. Let there be an attribute in the existing BIOS attribute table (Settings
Storage), which will be settable from the hypervisor through PLDM, however
pldm reads it as a sensor.This setting will be read-only for the
out-of-band clients(redfish). This approach is something similar to the
redfish schema, where we implement the writable & read-only attributes in
the same schema/resource. Redfish also has the origin as a settings but
they made it as a read-only attribute. This helps in bringing the related
attributes together under same object.

2. Let create a new table/object for mapping of pldm sensors ; the Sensors
Storage table which will contain only those attributes which are mapped to
the pldm sensors. This sensor table can be set by the pldm, and other
interested components can read this to get the required attribute values.
If we do this, then openBMC would be having two tables 1) Settings Storage
for Bios settings 2) Sensors Storage for pldm sensors. It is kind of
bringing the pldm complexities to the external application. Also
complexities involved in bringing the related attributes together from two
different tables.

Please let me know your views on these.  What could be the better long term
solution for this?
It would be great if you can propose any other way of handling this.

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

* Re: Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-04 15:56 ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-05-04 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunitha Harish, patrick, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

On 04/05/20 8:22 pm, Sunitha Harish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have some user defined host settings which we are presently keeping
> it in phosphor-settings-manager and the associated pldm bios attributes
> are there in the pldm BIOS table. Few properties in the object hosted by
> the phosphor-settings-manager are read-only for out of band but through
> in-band it can be changed.
>
> For example; the IP origin (static/dhcp) in the below commit.
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30205/

Is the Origin property here a host setting/BIOS attribute? I don't
believe it is. From a PLDM perspective, this is a sensor that the host
can update and notify the BMC via an event, for eg. Even if you make it
read-only, it is not a setting for the host firmware - which is what
BIOS attributes are meant for.

Thanks,
Deepak

* Re: Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-05  6:42   ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-05  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, patrick, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

Hi Deepak,

As mentioned , the Origin is the property which will be set by the host
once the IP address is applied to its interface. Its a read-only
property for the out-of-band user. But its a closely coupled - related
attribute on the host setting/BIOS object.

I am looking for the opinion on the two approaches proposed ; so that we
can handle these kind of scenarios.

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

@ 2020-05-05  6:59     ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-05-05  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunitha Harish, patrick, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

On 05/05/20 12:12 pm, Sunitha Harish wrote:
> Hi Deepak,
>
> As mentioned , the Origin is the property which will be set by the host
> once the IP address is applied to its interface. Its a read-only
> property for the out-of-band user. But its a closely coupled - related
> attribute on the host setting/BIOS object.

Hi Sunitha,

What I'm trying to say is - we shouldn't make this coupling. The BIOS
settings table is a group of attributes that can alter the default
behavior of the host firmware. The Origin property you describe doesn't
fit that description.

The host "sets" several things for the BMC, for eg the host firmware can
tell us functional/presence states of FRUs which the host has access to.
Everything that the host "sets" this way isn't a BIOS attribute. Once
you decouple this, I believe we can think about options other than the
two you have suggested - since both of them involve making the Origin
property seem like a BIOS attribute, which it clearly is not.

Thanks,
Deepak

* Re: Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-06  7:23       ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-06  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, patrick, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

Hi Deepak,

Please suggest which other approach you think is better here for Origin
attribute?

When the interface is set as DHCPEnabled=true ; similar to the Origin
attribute , the IP address, SubnetMask and Gateway will be set by the
host. So we would need to consider this usecase also as a candidate for
the new approach.

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

@ 2020-05-11  6:14         ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-11  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, patrick, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

Hi,

Gentle reminder for the feedback.

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

@ 2020-05-11 12:07           ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2020-05-11 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunitha Harish; +Cc: Deepak Kodihalli, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

Hello Sunitha,

Intel has already made significant progress on this problem domain and
we seem to be fairly converged on the design direction [1,2].  Have you
read through their design proposal?  Are there any oversights in their
design that would affect your needs?

Their design has been on-going for months now.  I don't think it is
appropriate to start from scratch on the design discussions unless there
is something fundamentally broken about their direction.

1. https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/29320
2. https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/+/18242

I thought there was even some implementation started in bmcweb for this
feature.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-11 16:05             ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-11 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: Deepak Kodihalli, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for sharing the pointers. I was aware that there was work going
on in this area. So was looking for your and Surya's inputs on this.

I will go through these designs from my use-case perspective.

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

@ 2020-05-13 15:07               ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-13 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: Deepak Kodihalli, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

Hi Patrick/Surya,

Seems to me that the design which Intel proposed does not cover the
scenario which i was mentioning about.

My scenario is :
1. Redfish client sets the host interface parameters for the IPv4
address. These user settable values are stored in the DBus.
2. When the system is powered on , the pldm reads these DBus values ,
and sets the BIOS attributes.
3. The hypervisor reads this BIOS attributes for the interfaces and sets
them.
4. Now the hypervisor sends an indication to the pldm that the IP
address is active at its interface and its Origin is Static ( ie : user
configured) OR it is DHCP ( ie: not user configured, if its DHCP enabled)
5. The pldm should store this Origin value "somewhere".

Redfish client would need this value to interpret where the IP address
has been Originated from. So we need a DBus property to save it. But ,
this is actually an attribute which is set by the hypervisor/host - a
pldm sensor. Its not suitable to be fit into the BIOS table. My
question&proposal is about how/where to store this value?

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

@ 2020-05-13 15:27                 ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-05-13 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunitha Harish, Patrick Williams; +Cc: suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

On 13/05/20 8:37 pm, Sunitha Harish wrote:

> Redfish client would need this value to interpret where the IP address
> has been Originated from. So we need a DBus property to save it.

Makes sense.

> this is actually an attribute which is set by the hypervisor/host - a
> pldm sensor. Its not suitable to be fit into the BIOS table.

Agree.

> My question&proposal is about how/where to store this value?

Anywhere but the BIOS attributes store on D-Bus? For eg could you come
up with another D-Bus interface to house this property? The PLDM demon
can relay a PLDM sensor to a D-Bus object that implements this property.
There are other PLDM sensors that the host owns, that are already
handled this way today - the host updates a PLDM sensor and lets the BMC
know about it. The BMC can update a corresponding D-Bus property.

@ 2020-05-13 21:18                 ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2020-05-13 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunitha Harish; +Cc: Deepak Kodihalli, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 08:37:32PM +0530, Sunitha Harish wrote:
> My scenario is :
> 1. Redfish client sets the host interface parameters for the IPv4
> address. These user settable values are stored in the DBus.

Ignoring which process "stores" this data, we have two mechanisms over
DBus to store this kind of data.  I can't tell fully from your
explaination which is more appropriate for this data.

1. Data we want to split out into well-formed, existing dbus objects.

    * We already have interfaces to store networking information under
      xyz/openbmc_project/Network.

2. Data which is generic / opaque to the BMC and we're just using the
   BMC as a "storage location".

   * This would be the proposed BIOS attributes interface.

So the question to you is, do you want the BMC to actively interact with
and manage this data, like we do for our own data, or do you want the
BMC to just be a dumb passthru of this data?

> 2. When the system is powered on , the pldm reads these DBus values ,
> and sets the BIOS attributes.
> 3. The hypervisor reads this BIOS attributes for the interfaces and sets
> them.

It doesn't seem like two steps matter with respect to the 1/2 above.
Where the data is obtained in this regard can be self-contained in your
PLDM provider, correct?

> 4. Now the hypervisor sends an indication to the pldm that the IP
> address is active at its interface and its Origin is Static ( ie : user
> configured) OR it is DHCP ( ie: not user configured, if its DHCP enabled)
> 5. The pldm should store this Origin value "somewhere".

This description makes it seem like you want it to be more "managed"
data than "opaque", if I'm reading this correctly.

> Redfish client would need this value to interpret where the IP address
> has been Originated from. So we need a DBus property to save it. But ,
> this is actually an attribute which is set by the hypervisor/host - a
> pldm sensor. Its not suitable to be fit into the BIOS table. My
> question&proposal is about how/where to store this value?

I think we need to be careful about being hung up on the name "BIOS
table".  For opaque data that is more OS-centric,  we could  make the
proposed "BIOS Attributes" interface more generic to store different
levels of host-owned data: BIOS, Hypervisor, OS.  This might be a good
comment to make on the interface code review.

If you are wanting the data to be managed, utilizing existing DBus
interfaces we have around networking, doesn't phosphor-settingsd cover
that from an implementation perspective?

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-14  3:43                   ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-05-14  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, Sunitha Harish; +Cc: dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

On 14/05/20 2:48 am, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 08:37:32PM +0530, Sunitha Harish wrote:
>> My scenario is :
>> 1. Redfish client sets the host interface parameters for the IPv4
>> address. These user settable values are stored in the DBus.
>
> Ignoring which process "stores" this data, we have two mechanisms over
> DBus to store this kind of data.  I can't tell fully from your
> explaination which is more appropriate for this data.
>
> 1. Data we want to split out into well-formed, existing dbus objects.
>
>      * We already have interfaces to store networking information under
>        xyz/openbmc_project/Network.
>
> 2. Data which is generic / opaque to the BMC and we're just using the
>     BMC as a "storage location".
>
>     * This would be the proposed BIOS attributes interface.
>
> So the question to you is, do you want the BMC to actively interact with
> and manage this data, like we do for our own data, or do you want the
> BMC to just be a dumb passthru of this data?
>
>> 2. When the system is powered on , the pldm reads these DBus values ,
>> and sets the BIOS attributes.
>> 3. The hypervisor reads this BIOS attributes for the interfaces and sets
>> them.
>
> It doesn't seem like two steps matter with respect to the 1/2 above.
> Where the data is obtained in this regard can be self-contained in your
> PLDM provider, correct?
>
>> 4. Now the hypervisor sends an indication to the pldm that the IP
>> address is active at its interface and its Origin is Static ( ie : user
>> configured) OR it is DHCP ( ie: not user configured, if its DHCP enabled)
>> 5. The pldm should store this Origin value "somewhere".
>
> This description makes it seem like you want it to be more "managed"
> data than "opaque", if I'm reading this correctly.
>
>> Redfish client would need this value to interpret where the IP address
>> has been Originated from. So we need a DBus property to save it. But ,
>> this is actually an attribute which is set by the hypervisor/host - a
>> pldm sensor. Its not suitable to be fit into the BIOS table. My
>> question&proposal is about how/where to store this value?
>
> I think we need to be careful about being hung up on the name "BIOS
> table".  For opaque data that is more OS-centric,  we could  make the
> proposed "BIOS Attributes" interface more generic to store different
> levels of host-owned data: BIOS, Hypervisor, OS.  This might be a good
> comment to make on the interface code review.

I think the current proposal from Surya enables this already. Do you
just mean the design doc should explicitly state this isn't restricted
to the "BIOS" firmware.

As far as Sunitha's question goes, my point is that not all host
firmware generated data is a BIOS attribute. For eg if the host tells me
about the presence of certain FRUs, or their functional states, I
wouldn't want to store those in the BIOS attributes backend, I'd rather
associates those with the existing D-Bus interfaces for the FRU
inventory. I think the same applies to the Origin property that has been
described - associate with the networking D-Bus backend.

> If you are wanting the data to be managed, utilizing existing DBus
> interfaces we have around networking, doesn't phosphor-settingsd cover
> that from an implementation perspective?

I don't think the 'Origin' property is a setting.

Regards,
Deepak

* Re: Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-14 12:33                     ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2020-05-14 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli; +Cc: Sunitha Harish, dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 09:13:47AM +0530, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> On 14/05/20 2:48 am, Patrick Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 08:37:32PM +0530, Sunitha Harish wrote:

> I think the current proposal from Surya enables this already. Do you
> just mean the design doc should explicitly state this isn't restricted
> to the "BIOS" firmware.

Yep.

> As far as Sunitha's question goes, my point is that not all host
> firmware generated data is a BIOS attribute. For eg if the host tells me
> about the presence of certain FRUs, or their functional states, I
> wouldn't want to store those in the BIOS attributes backend, I'd rather
> associates those with the existing D-Bus interfaces for the FRU
> inventory. I think the same applies to the Origin property that has been
> described - associate with the networking D-Bus backend.

I think we're in agreement here.  Data which is interesting to represent
on the BMC, for which we already have a defined-interface, use it.  For
data which isn't interesting the to BMC, use the generic BIOS attribute
table.

> > If you are wanting the data to be managed, utilizing existing DBus
> > interfaces we have around networking, doesn't phosphor-settingsd cover
> > that from an implementation perspective?
>
> I don't think the 'Origin' property is a setting.

Well the name "settingsd" is somewhat arbitrary based on its original
definition.  I believe the current implementation can make a placeholder
instance of any dbus interface.

Having said that, one weakness with settingsd is that you can't easily
restrict property changes to data coming from the host.  Once you make a
settingsd object, anyone can make dbus calls to change properties on it.
If we want to be able to restrict that to specific interfaces, we might
want to look at a phosphor-inventory-manager like implementation which
has a special "backdoor" method to create / update the instances but
prevents modification through the normal property change interfaces.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-18 11:53                       ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-18 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, Deepak Kodihalli; +Cc: dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

Thanks Deepak & Patrick.

So the preferred approach would be to define the host settable data in a
new phosphor-host-inventory-manager, and make this as read-only to the
other BMC applications.

The Interface: xyz.openbmc_project.Network.EthernetInterface -
DHCPEnabled property is a Bios attribute.
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30424/
Lets take a scenario - when the Ethernet interface set to be DHCP
enabled ( by setting the DHCPEnabled = true via redfish), the IPAddress,
SubnetMask and Gateway along with the Origin property will not be BIOS
one as all they can't be settable by the redfish in the case of DHCP and
they will be part of this new manager.

However in the case of Static IP configuration(IPAddress, SubnetMask and
Gateway) will become bios setting.

Would we be having these attributes in both Bios table and in the new
settings manager ?

By considering all these , can you please weigh in your thoughts about
extending the existing settings interface table, by defining the
attribute as read-only for BMC ? We can block the "write" to these
attributes at user level. This would make things simpler , and it will
be in line with the redfish interface definitions as well. Redfish
already defines the schema where it makes some attributes read-only for
the users.

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

@ 2020-05-21  5:12                         ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-21  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, Deepak Kodihalli; +Cc: dkodihal, suryakanth.sekar, openbmc

Hi,

Any inputs?

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

@ 2020-05-21  5:16                           ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-05-21  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunitha Harish, Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 21/05/20 10:42 am, Sunitha Harish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any inputs?
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Sunitha

Hi Sunitha,

I believe you had got a direction based on the discussion below.

>>> I think we're in agreement here.  Data which is interesting to represent
>>> on the BMC, for which we already have a defined-interface, use it.  For
>>> data which isn't interesting the to BMC, use the generic BIOS attribute
>>> table.

^^ You use existing (or come up with new) D-Bus interfaces to represent
your data. Those D-Bus interfaces can be implemented by settingsd or
networkd or something else.

Thanks,
Deepak

* Re: Storing host data on the BMC
@ 2020-05-21 10:30                             ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-21 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 21-05-2020 10:46, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> On 21/05/20 10:42 am, Sunitha Harish wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any inputs?
>>
>> Thanks & regards,
>> Sunitha
>
> Hi Sunitha,
>
> I believe you had got a direction based on the discussion below.

> ^^ You use existing (or come up with new) D-Bus interfaces to
> represent your data. Those D-Bus interfaces can be implemented by
> settingsd or networkd or something else.

If i am getting it correctly , the current changes which were made to
the phosphor-settings-manager should be good enough to handle all the
scenarios.

In my last email i mentioned that ===>>
When the Ethernet interface set to be DHCP enabled ( by setting the Bios
attribute DHCPEnabled = true via redfish), the IPAddress, SubnetMask and
Gateway along with the Origin property will not be Bios settings. Here
the user will be setting the DHCPEnabled property.
However in the case of Static IP configuration(IPAddress, SubnetMask and
Gateway) they will become bios setting.
Currently we are using the xyz.openbmc_project.Network.IP and this
interface is being implemented by settings object -
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30424/

Do you see any issues here?

@ 2020-05-22  3:59                             ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-22  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 21-05-2020 10:46, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> On 21/05/20 10:42 am, Sunitha Harish wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any inputs?
>>
>> Thanks & regards,
>> Sunitha
>
> Hi Sunitha,
>
> I believe you had got a direction based on the discussion below.

> ^^ You use existing (or come up with new) D-Bus interfaces to
> represent your data. Those D-Bus interfaces can be implemented by
> settingsd or networkd or something else.

If i am getting it correctly , the current changes which were made to
the phosphor-settings-manager should be good enough to handle all the
scenarios.

In my last email i mentioned that ===>>
When the Ethernet interface set to be DHCP enabled ( by setting the Bios
attribute DHCPEnabled = true via redfish), the IPAddress, SubnetMask and
Gateway along with the Origin property will not be Bios settings. Here
the user setting is the DHCPEnabled property of ?

However in the case of Static IP configuration(IPAddress, SubnetMask and
Gateway) they will become bios setting.
Currently we are using the xyz.openbmc_project.Network.IP and this
interface is being implemented by settings object -
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30424/
Do you see any issue here?

@ 2020-05-29 10:57                               ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-29 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 22-05-2020 09:29, Sunitha Harish wrote:

> On 21-05-2020 10:46, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
>> On 21/05/20 10:42 am, Sunitha Harish wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Any inputs?
>>>
>>> Thanks & regards,
>>> Sunitha
>>
>> Hi Sunitha,
>>
>> I believe you had got a direction based on the discussion below.

>> ^^ You use existing (or come up with new) D-Bus interfaces to
>> represent your data. Those D-Bus interfaces can be implemented by
>> settingsd or networkd or something else.
>
> If i am getting it correctly , the current changes which were made to
> the phosphor-settings-manager should be good enough to handle all the
> scenarios.
>
> In my last email i mentioned that ===>>
>
> When the Ethernet interface set to be DHCP enabled ( by setting the
> Bios attribute DHCPEnabled = true via redfish), the IPAddress,
> SubnetMask and Gateway along with the Origin property will not be Bios
> settings. Here the user setting is the DHCPEnabled property of ?
>
> However in the case of Static IP configuration(IPAddress, SubnetMask
> and Gateway) they will become bios setting.
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Currently we are using the xyz.openbmc_project.Network.IP and this
> interface is being implemented by settings object -
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30424/
> Do you see any issue here?

Hi , any feedback ?

Thanks & regards,
Sunitha

@ 2020-05-29 11:03                                 ` Deepak Kodihalli
From: Deepak Kodihalli @ 2020-05-29 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunitha Harish, Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 29/05/20 4:27 pm, Sunitha Harish wrote:

> On 22-05-2020 09:29, Sunitha Harish wrote:

>>> Hi Sunitha,
>>>
>>> I believe you had got a direction based on the discussion below.

>>> ^^ You use existing (or come up with new) D-Bus interfaces to
>>> represent your data. Those D-Bus interfaces can be implemented by
>>> settingsd or networkd or something else.
>>
>> If i am getting it correctly , the current changes which were made to
>> the phosphor-settings-manager should be good enough to handle all the
>> scenarios.
>>
>> In my last email i mentioned that ===>>
>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> When the Ethernet interface set to be DHCP enabled ( by setting the
>> Bios attribute DHCPEnabled = true via redfish), the IPAddress,
>> SubnetMask and Gateway along with the Origin property will not be Bios
>> settings. Here the user setting is the DHCPEnabled property of ?
>>
>> However in the case of Static IP configuration(IPAddress, SubnetMask
>> and Gateway) they will become bios setting.
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Currently we are using the xyz.openbmc_project.Network.IP and this
>> interface is being implemented by settings object -
>> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30424/
>> Do you see any issue here?
>
> Hi , any feedback ?

Sorry I forgot to respond to this. If your question is whether the
Origin property (and the interface it lies in) can be implemented by
phosphor-settingsd, then I think the answer is yes. We did say that we
can look at phosphor-settingsd as an arbitrary data holder (not limited
to user settings).

@ 2020-05-29 11:26                                   ` Sunitha Harish
From: Sunitha Harish @ 2020-05-29 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Kodihalli, Patrick Williams; +Cc: openbmc

On 29-05-2020 16:33, Deepak Kodihalli wrote:
> On 29/05/20 4:27 pm, Sunitha Harish wrote:

>>> If i am getting it correctly , the current changes which were made
>>> to the phosphor-settings-manager should be good enough to handle all
>>> the scenarios.
>>>
>>> In my last email i mentioned that ===>>
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> When the Ethernet interface set to be DHCP enabled ( by setting the
>>> Bios attribute DHCPEnabled = true via redfish), the IPAddress,
>>> SubnetMask and Gateway along with the Origin property will not be
>>> Bios settings. Here the user setting is the DHCPEnabled property of ?
>>>
>>> However in the case of Static IP configuration(IPAddress, SubnetMask
>>> and Gateway) they will become bios setting.
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Currently we are using the xyz.openbmc_project.Network.IP and this
>>> interface is being implemented by settings object -
>>> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30424/
>>> Do you see any issue here?
>>
>> Hi , any feedback ?
>
> Sorry I forgot to respond to this. If your question is whether the
> Origin property (and the interface it lies in) can be implemented by
> phosphor-settingsd, then I think the answer is yes. We did say that we
> can look at phosphor-settingsd as an arbitrary data holder (not
> limited to user settings).

Thanks Deepak , So I believe now we can go ahead with the current
implementation in the gerrit links :

https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30205/
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/#/c/openbmc/meta-ibm/+/30424/

Lets continue the review there for any further comments, and please
provide your scores as well.