From: Derrick Stolee <stolee@gmail.com>
Subject: Merge ORT performance in the wild
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 15:42:01 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello all, especially Elijah.

We finally shipped Git 2.33.0 (with VFS for Git) to the Windows OS
engineers, and the microsoft/git fork enables the ORT merge strategy
by default in this version.

I know that we are queued to include the ORT merge strategy as on
by default in Git 2.34.0, and to further support that change (and
thank Elijah for working hard on the feature), I wanted to share
some early data on our users interacting with it.

We have about 250 users who have upgraded, relative to ~2,300 users
who were active on the previous version. However, we saw sufficiently
high use of 'git cherry-pick' and 'git merge' in these early users to
share these results for how they are experiencing the new world:

| Builtin     | Percentile | Recursive | ORT   |
|-------------|------------|-----------|-------|
| cherry-pick | 50         |  18.4s    | 14.1s |
| cherry-pick | 80         |  34.9s    | 15.4s |
| cherry-pick | 95         | 117.9s    | 17.7s |
| merge       | 50         |   7.7s    |  1.2s |
| merge       | 80         |  17.9s    | 12.7s |
| merge       | 95         |  58.9s    | 22.3s |

This matches the results from a synthetic performance test I ran
in our monorepos: ORT is always faster, but its outlier performance
is far faster than the outlier performance of the 'recursive'
strategy.

Thanks!
-Stolee