On 06.11.19 15:58, Kevin Wolf wrote: > Am 06.11.2019 um 15:37 hat Max Reitz geschrieben: >> On 17.10.19 15:01, Kevin Wolf wrote: >>> This series adds a new tool 'qemu-storage-daemon', which can be used to >>> export and perform operations on block devices. >> >> Looks good to me. >> >> I remember a discussion at some KVM Forum a couple of years ago where >> someone (Berto?) was asking about adding QMP to qemu-nbd. I found it a >> pragmatic solution, but I remember that Markus was against it, based on >> the fact that we wanted qemu -M none. > > Yes, but it turned out that qemu -M none is a bit too heavyweight in > practice and fixing that would involve a lot of work. As I understand it > (mostly what I took from discussions on the list), even if someone were > interested in doing that and started now, it's the kind of thing that > would take multiple years. I didn’t want to give the impression I wouldn’t agree. O:-) (I agree completely, and basically that was my understanding/opinion/feeling back when we discussed it, too.) > As long as we keep the code simple and the interesting parts are just > reused and shared with the system emulator and other tools, it shouldn't > be hard to maintain. > >> Well, but anyway. Just as I didn’t have anything against adding QMP to >> qemu-nbd, I don’t have anything against adding a new application that >> kind of fulfills the same purpose. And I think introducing a new >> application instead of reusing qemu-nbd that focuses on all-around QAPI >> compatibility (which qemu-nbd decidedly does not have) makes sense. > > Yes, QAPI is one big reason for creating a new tool that doesn't need to > support the old qemu-nbd command line. Another is that we can add other > types of exports that are not NBD. Sure. >> The only thing I don’t like is the name, but that’s what is for. >> :-) > > I'm open for suggestions, but I thought 'qsd' was a bit too terse. :-) > > (Actually, maybe we could even pick something that doesn't mention > storage or block? After all, it can do all kinds of QEMU backends in > theory. Not sure if there's any standalone use for them, but who > knows...) Be careful, if we stuff too much into it, we’ll end up with just qemu again. :-) Max