* Regarding Outreachy project on Improving CR Dashboard
@ 2016-03-19  9:54 Priya
From: Priya @ 2016-03-19  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lars.kurth; +Cc: xen-devel

Hello Lars Kurth,

I'm Priya V, a final year Computer Science student from Amrita University,
India. I came across this project on 'Improving Code Review Dashboard' in
Xen project ideas list, and thought about applying for the same in this
round of Outreachy.

>From a quick look, I understand that the CR data from repositories are
obtained using Metrics Grimoire tools and visualized on a Kibana dashboard.
I see the screenshots within the description, and I was wondering if there is
a way to take a look at any of these ( or can I reproduce it in my local ? )

>From the description of the project, I see that we need to produce Perceval
based scripts to analyze code review messages in Xen, instead of
MLStats/CVSAanlY-based scripts which is currently used. I was looking for
the Xen specific CVS scripts in http://xenbits.xen.org/ and couldnt find it
yet. It would be great if you can point me to the original scripts, so that
I can setup Perceval and try figuring out how to bring about the conversion.

I find my skill-sets matching with the project requirements, and
considering that the deadline is drawing near, please guide me with
pointers to start with.

Thanks,
Priya V
Amrita University
LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/priya-v-195560b6?trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile>
| GitHub <https://github.com/priya299> | Bitbucket
<https://bitbucket.org/priya299/>

* Re: Regarding Outreachy project on Improving CR Dashboard (Urgent)
@ 2016-03-21  9:43 ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-03-21  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Priya; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona, Daniel Izquierdo, xen-devel

Priya,

so for the delay: wasn't checking my mail on the weekend. Also adding Jesus and Daniel

That is correct: there is a set of scripts that create a database. We have a test data sets at http://projects.bitergia.com/xen-project-dashboard/browser/data/db/ <http://projects.bitergia.com/xen-project-dashboard/browser/data/db/>
And all the xen specific code and scripts are at https://github.com/dicortazar/xen-code-review-analysis/tree/master <https://github.com/dicortazar/xen-code-review-analysis/tree/master>

> From the description of the project, I see that we need to produce Perceval based scripts to analyze code review messages in Xen, instead of MLStats/CVSAanlY-based scripts which is currently used. I was looking for the Xen specific CVS scripts in http://xenbits.xen.org/ <http://xenbits.xen.org/> and couldnt find it yet. It would be great if you can point me to the original scripts, so that I can setup Perceval and try figuring out how to bring about the conversion.

There are no Perceval based scripts at this stage yet. But maybe we can find some improvements.
@Priya: What is your IRC handle. I think we ought to set up a quick chat, if possible. I am usually lars_kurth on #xendevel on freenode

> I find my skill-sets matching with the project requirements, and considering that the deadline is drawing near, please guide me with pointers to start with.

@Dani, @Jesus: could you find a suitable task. We can also consider extending the deadline by a couple of days.

Regards
Lars

* Re: Regarding Outreachy project on Improving CR Dashboard (Urgent)
@ 2016-03-22  9:43   ` Priya
       [not found]     ` <1458647225.4380.391.camel@bitergia.com>
From: Priya @ 2016-03-22  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: Lars Kurth, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona, Daniel Izquierdo, xen-devel

Hello all,

Thank you for the introduction Lars.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com>
wrote:

> There are no Perceval based scripts at this stage yet. But maybe we can
> find some improvements.
> @Priya: What is your IRC handle. I think we ought to set up a quick chat,
> if possible. I am usually lars_kurth on #xendevel on freenode

I went through some of the existing scripts used, and in my understanding -
the project is to shift completely from existing MLStats like scripts to
Perceval. I have started working on my proposal focusing around this idea,
and I will be sharing it with you shortly.

btw, I am priya_ on freenode.

@Dani, @Jesus: could you find a suitable task. We can also consider
> extending the deadline by a couple of days.

This would be really great, as we are approaching the deadline soon.

@ 2016-03-22 12:05     ` Lars Kurth
       [not found]     ` <1458647225.4380.391.camel@bitergia.com>
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-03-22 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Priya; +Cc: Lars Kurth, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona, Daniel Izquierdo, xen-devel

> On 22 Mar 2016, at 09:43, Priya <vppriya9@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> Thank you for the introduction Lars.
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com <mailto:lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> There are no Perceval based scripts at this stage yet. But maybe we can find some improvements.
> @Priya: What is your IRC handle. I think we ought to set up a quick chat, if possible. I am usually lars_kurth on #xendevel on freenode
>
> I went through some of the existing scripts used, and in my understanding - the project is to shift completely from existing MLStats like scripts to Perceval. I have started working on my proposal focusing around this idea, and I will be sharing it with you shortly.
>
> btw, I am priya_ on freenode.

I am in meetings all day today. See http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-03/msg02641.html <http://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-03/msg02641.html> though
Lars

* Re: Code-Review-Dashboard: Regarding Outreachy project on Improving CR Dashboard
       [not found]     ` <1458647225.4380.391.camel@bitergia.com>
@ 2016-03-24 17:33       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2016-03-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona, Xen-devel; +Cc: Priya, Daniel Izquierdo, Lars Kurth

Removed urgent, added xen-devel back in

> On 22 Mar 2016, at 11:47, Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona <jgb@bitergia.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2016-03-22 at 15:13 +0530, Priya wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Thank you for the introduction Lars.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth.xen@gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are no Perceval based scripts at this stage yet. But maybe we
>>> can find some improvements.
>>> @Priya: What is your IRC handle. I think we ought to set up a quick
>>> chat, if possible. I am usually lars_kurth on #xendevel on
>>> freenode
>>>
>> I went through some of the existing scripts used, and in my
>> understanding - the project is to shift completely from existing
>> MLStats like scripts to Perceval. I have started working on my
>> proposal focusing around this idea, and I will be sharing it with you
>> shortly.
>
> Indeed, the idea is to switch from MetricsGrimoire (MLStats and
> CVSAnalY in this case) to Perceval backends. That means moving from SQL
> databases to ElasticSearch too.
>
>> btw, I am priya_ on freenode.
>
> I guess we were talking some days ago on IRC, right? (I'm jgbarah
> there).
>
>>> @Dani, @Jesus: could you find a suitable task. We can also consider
>>> extending the deadline by a couple of days.
>>>
>> This would be really great, as we are approaching the deadline soon.
>
> I guess a task to evaluate your proposal could be writting an script to
> use the Perceval email backend to feed data from the xen-devel mailing
> list to an ElasticSearch database, and annotating in it messages in the
> same thread.
>
> For identifying threads, you can use the Zawinski algorithm, https://ww
> w.jwz.org/doc/threading.html
>
> The result of the script would be an ElasticSearch search index, with
> one JSON document per message (it could be the same document produced
> by Perceval), with one extra field (property), with the same value for
> messages in in the same thread. The value could be the message-id of
> the first message in the thread.
>
> Priya, if you need, I could refine the definition of the problem.
>
> Lars, I removed xen-devel from the CC, just to avoid making noise. We
> can summarize later (but if you prefer all of this copied to xen-devel,
> just let me know).

As part of the objective of Outreachy is for participants to work in
the open and conduct open code reviews and discussions, please ensure
that xen-devel is added in future. I think we should mark emails related
to this project with "Code-Review-Dashboard:" in the subject line, which
means people who don't care can ignore the mails.

Also, reviewers, maintainers and committers expect to be CC'ed and will
either ignore or just scan mails that only go to xen-devel@

Regards
Lars