On Apr 20, 2009, at 5:24 PM, Piergiorgio Sartor wrote: > On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 11:13:32PM +0200, Luca Berra wrote: >> add --auto=md to the command line >> or put it in the create line in mdadm.conf > > Thanks, that did the trick! > > Interesting, it seems now I have 3 devices > for that raid. > One is /dev/md127, one is /dev/md/boot, with > same (major, minor) as md127, and there is a > third one, /dev/md_boot, which is a symbolic > link to /dev/md/boot. > > /proc/mdstat reports /dev/md127 And so the confusion is perpetuated. This is *not* accessing a device by name. If I give mdadm a name for my device, I don't want it doing *anything* with numbers, creating numbered symlinks, or anything else. In addition, if I tell mdadm to create something in /dev/md/ (versus it decided all on its own to create something there), then I do *NOT* want it creating *anything* in /dev/ that I didn't ask for. That, again, adds to the confusion. Of all of it though, the /proc/ mdstat is the worst part as it underscores that the kernel stack is not able to think in terms of names instead of numbers. -- Doug Ledford GPG KeyID: CFBFF194 http://people.redhat.com/dledford InfiniBand Specific RPMS http://people.redhat.com/dledford/Infiniband