From: Roberto Spadim <roberto@spadim.com.br>
To: stefan.huebner@stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Cc: Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de>, linux-raid@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Optimize RAID0 for max IOPS?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:09:39 -0200	[thread overview]

the problem....
if you use iostat, or iotop
with software raid:
   you just see disk i/o
   you don´t see memory (cache) i/o
when using hardware raid:
   you just see raid i/o (it can be a cache read or a real disk read)

if you check memory+disk i/o, you will get similar values, if not, you
will see high cpu usage
for example you are using raidx with 10disks on a hardware raid
change hardware raid to use only disks (10 disks for linux)
make the same raidx with 10disks
you will get a slower i/o since it have a controler between disk and cpu
try it without hardware raid cpu, just a (sas/sata) optimized
controller, or 10 (sata/sas) one port
you still with a slow i/o then hardware controller (that´s right!)

now let´s remove the sata/sas channel, let´s use a pci-express
revodrive or pci-express texas ssd drive
you will get better values then a hardware raid, but... why? you
changed the hardware (ok, i know) but you make cpu more close to disk
if you use disks with cache, you will get more speed (a memory ssd
harddisk is faster than a harddisk only disk)

why hardware are more faster than linux? i don´t think they are...
they can make smaller latencies with good memory cache
but if you computer use ddr3 and your hardware raid controller use i2c
memory, your ddr3 cache is faster...

how to benchmark? check disk i/o+memory cache i/o
if linux is faster ok, you use more cpu and memory of your computer
if linux is slower ok, you use less cpu and memory, but will have it
on hardware raid...
if you upgrade you memory and cpu, it can be faster than you hardware
raid controller, what´s better for you?

want a better read/write solution for software raid? make a new
read/write code, you can do it, linux is easier than hardware raid to
code!
want a better read/write solution for hardware raid? call your
hardware seller and talk, please i need a better firmware, could you
send me?

got?

Roberto Spadim
Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial