On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Jakub Jelinek wrote: > > I don't see any problems on the assembly level.  i8k_smm is > not inlined in this case and checks all 3 conditions. If it really is related to gcc not understanding that "*regs" has changed due to the memory being an automatic variable, and passing in "regs" itself as a pointer to that automatic variable together with the "memory" clobber not being sufficient, than I think it's the lack of inlining that will automatically hide the bug. (Side note: and I think this does show how much of a gcc bug it is not to consider "memory" together with passing in a pointer to an asm to always be a clobber). Because if it isn't inlined, then "regs" will be seen a a real pointer to some external memory (the caller) rather than being optimized to just be the auto structure on the stack. Because *mem is auto only within the context of the caller. Which actually points to a possible simpler: - remove the "+m" since it adds too much register pressure - mark the i8k_smm() as "noinline" instead. Quite frankly, I'd hate to add even more crud to that inline asm (to save/restore the registers manually). It's already not the prettiest thing around. So does the attached patch work for everybody? Linus