* New 2.6.36 checkpatch complaints about leading whitespace
@ 2010-10-30  9:35 Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2010-10-30  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Whitcroft; +Cc: LKML, Vladislav Bolkhovitin

Hello Andy,

Apparently the checkpatch.pl script as included in 2.6.36 complains if
continued lines start with whitespace. An example:

[ ... ]
+#if defined(MACRO_NAME_1) || defined(MACRO_NAME_2) \
+  || defined(MACRO_NAME_3)
[ ... ]

checkpatch.pl reports the following warning for the above patch excerpt:

WARNING: please, no space for starting a line,
                                excluding comments

Is that a feature or an unintended side effect of recent checkpatch changes ?

Bart.

* Re: New 2.6.36 checkpatch complaints about leading whitespace
@ 2010-11-01  4:10 ` Andy Whitcroft
From: Andy Whitcroft @ 2010-11-01  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bart Van Assche; +Cc: LKML, Vladislav Bolkhovitin

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:35:22AM +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> Hello Andy,
>
> Apparently the checkpatch.pl script as included in 2.6.36 complains if
> continued lines start with whitespace. An example:
>
> [ ... ]
> +#if defined(MACRO_NAME_1) || defined(MACRO_NAME_2) \
> +  || defined(MACRO_NAME_3)
> [ ... ]
>
> checkpatch.pl reports the following warning for the above patch excerpt:
>
> WARNING: please, no space for starting a line,
>                                 excluding comments
>
> Is that a feature or an unintended side effect of recent checkpatch changes ?

My personal expectation would be for that second line to be indented
with a tab.  But I might be convinced otherwise?

-apw

* Re: New 2.6.36 checkpatch complaints about leading whitespace
@ 2010-11-01  7:29   ` Bart Van Assche
From: Bart Van Assche @ 2010-11-01  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Whitcroft; +Cc: LKML, Vladislav Bolkhovitin

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Andy Whitcroft <apw@canonical.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:35:22AM +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> > Hello Andy,
> >
> > Apparently the checkpatch.pl script as included in 2.6.36 complains if
> > continued lines start with whitespace. An example:
> >
> > [ ... ]
> > +#if defined(MACRO_NAME_1) || defined(MACRO_NAME_2) \
> > +  || defined(MACRO_NAME_3)
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > checkpatch.pl reports the following warning for the above patch excerpt:
> >
> > WARNING: please, no space for starting a line,
> >                                 excluding comments
> >
> > Is that a feature or an unintended side effect of recent checkpatch changes ?
>
> My personal expectation would be for that second line to be indented
> with a tab.  But I might be convinced otherwise?

There are also other preprocessor directives on which the 2.6.36
checkpatch complains, e.g.:

#warning A very long warning message that takes multiple lines and of which\
 the second line starts with a space.

Why does the 2.6.36 checkpatch complain that the second line should
start with a tab instead of a space (which would make the message
really ugly) ?

Bart.