* glint KMS - how to proceed?
@ 2010-06-18  1:39 Matt Turner
From: Matt Turner @ 2010-06-18  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dri-devel; +Cc: Ian Romanick

I'm working on modesetting, and I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.

My repository is here (ignore all the commit dates):
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mattst88/glint.git;a=summary

I've filled out struct drm_crtc_funcs in glint_crtc.c, except for
cursor_{set,move} (I think I can ignore them for the time being,
right?), and think filling out drm_crtc_helper_funcs is probably the
next step. Locally, I've implemented glint_crtc_dpms, since it gets
called by various other drm_crtc_helper_funcs.

I'm unsure what mode_fixup is, exactly. Alex tells me on IRC that it's
for scaling, which is what the radeon driver does with it.
nv04_crtc.c:nv_crtc_mode_fixup and nv50_crtc.c:nv50_crtc_mode_fixup do
nothing except returning true though. Why?
intel_display.c:intel_crtc_mode_fixup looks like it checks some clocks
or something. I'm not sure what needs to happen in this function, so
please give hints as to what my driver should be doing here.

The biggest piece of implementing drm_crtc_helper_funcs is mode_set.
I've got drivers/video/pm3fb.c in the kernel for reference and the
-glint DDX, so I think I can figure out how to program the clocks, but
trying to figure out the other things that need to happen in mode_set
are getting me. The intel driver's intel_crtc_mode_set is an example
of a function that needs to be split for clarity (600 lines). The
radeon driver's radeon_crtc_mode_set is pretty clear, and calls
radeon_mode_set_base which looks like it's setting up the scanout
buffer for fbcon. Since I haven't done memory management yet, a nudge
in the the right direction here would be nice as well.

Also, at what point do I need to setup encoders/connectors? It looks
like some of these functions are being called by functions in
drm_crtc_helper_funcs.

For both my ability to understand, and for the latter part of the
project, the documentation and tutorial/guides, I'd like to make as
small and incremental changes as possible. Ideally, add a few
functions, be able to see some new growth in the driver. Is there any
milestone I can hit here before going all the way to framebuffer
console? It'd be nice to be able to verify functions like
glint_crtc_load_lut or glint_crtc_dpms work correctly before I add a
bunch more code that depends on them.

Thanks!
Matt

http://p.sf.net/sfu/thinkgeek-promo

* Re: glint KMS - how to proceed?
@ 2010-06-21 17:19 ` Alex Deucher
From: Alex Deucher @ 2010-06-21 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Turner; +Cc: Ian Romanick, dri-devel

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:39 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working on modesetting, and I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.
>
> My repository is here (ignore all the commit dates):
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mattst88/glint.git;a=summary
>
> I've filled out struct drm_crtc_funcs in glint_crtc.c, except for
> cursor_{set,move} (I think I can ignore them for the time being,
> right?), and think filling out drm_crtc_helper_funcs is probably the
> next step. Locally, I've implemented glint_crtc_dpms, since it gets
> called by various other drm_crtc_helper_funcs.

You can ignore the cursor stuff for now. drm_crtc_helper_funcs is the
next logical step.  You also need to fill in the encoder and connector
bits.  Based on a brief look at the glint ddx, it looks like you can
get away with a DAC (encoder) and VGA (connector).  It looks like some
cards support flat panels, but you can tackle that later.

> I'm unsure what mode_fixup is, exactly. Alex tells me on IRC that it's
> for scaling, which is what the radeon driver does with it.
> nv04_crtc.c:nv_crtc_mode_fixup and nv50_crtc.c:nv50_crtc_mode_fixup do
> nothing except returning true though. Why?
> intel_display.c:intel_crtc_mode_fixup looks like it checks some clocks
> or something. I'm not sure what needs to happen in this function, so
> please give hints as to what my driver should be doing here.

Both crtcs and encoders have a fixup function.  The function is just a
chance for the driver to make any changes it needs to the mode to
handle certain situations like scaling.  Both the crtcs and the
encoders have a chance to fixup the mode.  This lets you work around
hw limitations for example.  If a particular encoder and crtc
combination has a problem with the proposed mode, it can either fix it
up if possible, or return false in which case the modeset would fail.
For now it's safe to just return true.

> The biggest piece of implementing drm_crtc_helper_funcs is mode_set.
> I've got drivers/video/pm3fb.c in the kernel for reference and the
> -glint DDX, so I think I can figure out how to program the clocks, but
> trying to figure out the other things that need to happen in mode_set
> are getting me. The intel driver's intel_crtc_mode_set is an example
> of a function that needs to be split for clarity (600 lines). The
> radeon driver's radeon_crtc_mode_set is pretty clear, and calls
> radeon_mode_set_base which looks like it's setting up the scanout
> buffer for fbcon. Since I haven't done memory management yet, a nudge
> in the the right direction here would be nice as well.

Take a look at drm_crtc_helper_set_mode() in drm_crtc_helper.c.  That
function gives you the modeset flow and how the driver hooks are used.
 You'll need some basic memory management in order to allocate a
framebuffer to point your crtc at.  The abstraction looks like:
buffer -> crtc -> encoder -> connector
in your case it would be:
vram -> crtc -> DAC -> VGA

Modesetting is basically broken down into 3 parts:
1. prepare
2. modeset
3. commit

Both crtcs and encoders have to fill in those functions.

Prepare allows the driver to do anything special it needs before
setting the mode.  Most drivers just call the dpms function and turn
off the crtc or encoder.

Modeset does the actual mode set.  In the crtc case it sets the crtc
timing, the pixel clock (pll), and the crtc base (offset in vram where
the crtc scans out from).  In the encoder case, it sets up the encoder
for mode set; e.g., crtc routing (send crtc0 data to DAC2, etc.),
encoder format setup, etc.  For a DAC there's no usually much to be
done; generally DACs are just on or off, so you could just have an
empty encoder modeset function and then turning it off and on in the
dpms hook which would be called by the prepare/commit hooks.

Commit allows the driver to do something special after modeset.  Most
drivers just call the dpms function and turn the encoder or crtc on.

> Also, at what point do I need to setup encoders/connectors? It looks
> like some of these functions are being called by functions in
> drm_crtc_helper_funcs.

You'll need to set them up before you can set modes.

> For both my ability to understand, and for the latter part of the
> project, the documentation and tutorial/guides, I'd like to make as
> small and incremental changes as possible. Ideally, add a few
> functions, be able to see some new growth in the driver. Is there any
> milestone I can hit here before going all the way to framebuffer
> console? It'd be nice to be able to verify functions like
> glint_crtc_load_lut or glint_crtc_dpms work correctly before I add a
> bunch more code that depends on them.

Might be useful to implement something like radeontool; a little C-app
that you can use to mmap the register BAR and manually bang on regs.
Then try stuff with with the ddx loaded and see how it reacts.  It
also may be helpful to break up the ddx init (equivalent to the kms
crtc and encoder modeset functions combined) and adjust frame
(equivalent to the kms crtc set base function) functions into logical
parts that would map to the kms abstractions.  Looking at
Permedia3Init() in the ddx you have roughly the following ordering
(although things are a bit mixed up):

- set the crtc timing
- calculate and set the pll
- dac/flat panel setup

Alex

@ 2010-06-23 16:03 ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2010-06-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Turner; +Cc: Ian Romanick, dri-devel

> I'm working on modesetting, and I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.
>
> My repository is here (ignore all the commit dates):
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mattst88/glint.git;a=summary

I also did one for the 3Dfx drm driver. Just as a note make sure that your
glint driver works with the xorg driver. After I had a 3Dfx KMS driver the
xorg driver no longer worked :-(. I would need to rework the xord driver
first then be able to submit my KMS driver.

@ 2010-06-23 17:22   ` Matt Turner
From: Matt Turner @ 2010-06-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: Ian Romanick, dri-devel

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM, James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org> wrote:

>> I'm working on modesetting, and I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.
>>
>> My repository is here (ignore all the commit dates):
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mattst88/glint.git;a=summary
>
> I also did one for the 3Dfx drm driver. Just as a note make sure that your
> glint driver works with the xorg driver. After I had a 3Dfx KMS driver the
> xorg driver no longer worked :-(. I would need to rework the xord driver
> first then be able to submit my KMS driver.

Is your 3dfx DRM driver available somewhere? It would be interesting to see.

@ 2010-07-13 17:43     ` Matt Turner
From: Matt Turner @ 2010-07-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: Ian Romanick, dri-devel

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:03 PM, James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working on modesetting, and I'm kind of unsure how to proceed.
>>>
>>> My repository is here (ignore all the commit dates):
>>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mattst88/glint.git;a=summary
>>
>> I also did one for the 3Dfx drm driver. Just as a note make sure that your
>> glint driver works with the xorg driver. After I had a 3Dfx KMS driver the
>> xorg driver no longer worked :-(. I would need to rework the xord driver
>> first then be able to submit my KMS driver.
>
> Is your 3dfx DRM driver available somewhere? It would be interesting to see.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Ping? Can we see your driver?

* Re: glint KMS - how to proceed?
@ 2010-07-14 19:01       ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2010-07-14 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Turner; +Cc: Ian Romanick, dri-devel

> >> I also did one for the 3Dfx drm driver. Just as a note make sure that your
> >> glint driver works with the xorg driver. After I had a 3Dfx KMS driver the
> >> xorg driver no longer worked :-(. I would need to rework the xord driver
> >> first then be able to submit my KMS driver.
> >
> > Is your 3dfx DRM driver available somewhere? It would be interesting to see.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Matt
>
> Ping? Can we see your driver?

http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/tdfx.diff

	Sorry the driver bit rotted. I used modification to the dri core to get it
going and be able to do real mode setting via the fbdev layer. Also the
machine with a AGP bus I had no longer works. I need to get a new machine
with a AGP bus that has some power behind it. This driver is updated but I
doubt it will boot since I couldn't test it.
	The framebuffer management has much to desire since I couldn't
find any good docs on TTM. So currently I'm using drm_addmap, yuck :-(
Tho the posted driver has some ttm hooks in it.

* Re: glint KMS - how to proceed?
@ 2010-07-14 20:39         ` Corbin Simpson
From: Corbin Simpson @ 2010-07-14 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: dri-devel, Ian Romanick

Whoo! I'll put this up on k.org as soon as I can get it working.

~ C.

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:01 PM, James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org> wrote:

>> > Is your 3dfx DRM driver available somewhere? It would be interesting to see.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Matt
>>
>> Ping? Can we see your driver?
>
> http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/tdfx.diff
>
>        Sorry the driver bit rotted. I used modification to the dri core to get it
> going and be able to do real mode setting via the fbdev layer. Also the
> machine with a AGP bus I had no longer works. I need to get a new machine
> with a AGP bus that has some power behind it. This driver is updated but I
> doubt it will boot since I couldn't test it.
>        The framebuffer management has much to desire since I couldn't
> find any good docs on TTM. So currently I'm using drm_addmap, yuck :-(
> Tho the posted driver has some ttm hooks in it.

When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? ~ Keynes

Corbin Simpson
<MostAwesomeDude@gmail.com>

* Re: glint KMS - how to proceed?
@ 2010-07-14 21:03         ` Corbin Simpson
From: Corbin Simpson @ 2010-07-14 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: dri-devel, Ian Romanick

@ 2010-07-14 21:13           ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2010-07-14 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corbin Simpson; +Cc: dri-devel, Ian Romanick

> Whoo! I'll put this up on k.org as soon as I can get it working.

The only problem is it will not work with X running with the tdfx xorg
driver :-( The driver will need more love as well.

> ~ C.

> >> Ping? Can we see your driver?
> >
> > http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/tdfx.diff
> >
> >        Sorry the driver bit rotted. I used modification to the dri core to get it
> > going and be able to do real mode setting via the fbdev layer. Also the
> > machine with a AGP bus I had no longer works. I need to get a new machine
> > with a AGP bus that has some power behind it. This driver is updated but I
> > doubt it will boot since I couldn't test it.
> >        The framebuffer management has much to desire since I couldn't
> > find any good docs on TTM. So currently I'm using drm_addmap, yuck :-(
> > Tho the posted driver has some ttm hooks in it.

> When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? ~ Keynes
>
> Corbin Simpson
> <MostAwesomeDude@gmail.com>

* Re: glint KMS - how to proceed?
@ 2010-07-15  1:33             ` Corbin Simpson
From: Corbin Simpson @ 2010-07-15  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: dri-devel

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM, James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org> wrote:

>> Whoo! I'll put this up on k.org as soon as I can get it working.
>
> The only problem is it will not work with X running with the tdfx xorg
> driver :-( The driver will need more love as well.

That's alright. I am, if nothing else, a lover of DDXs. tdfx needs it
anyway -- DRI1 is kind of painful with the current setup.

~ C.