From: Matt <jackdachef@gmail.com>
To: Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
Cc: "R. Herbst" <ruediger.herbst@googlemail.com>,
	Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>,
	benh@kernel.crashing.org
Subject: Re: Sun GEM PPC32 Bug?
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:55:40 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi guys,

I myself don't have any PPC32 box but I just googled some of the
keywords Ruediger posted "gem eth0: RX MAC fifooverflow smac"

and there were even similar or related messages going back to 2004
(and kernel 2.6.9).

Slab corruption seems to be involved (in some ?) cases (e.g.
http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg08345.html)

so it sounds serious to me (from an users point of view).

A kind of temporary fix seems to rmmod and modprobe the kernel-module,
according to:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1428330

For the German speaking folks there's a thread over at
forums.gentoo.org (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-862767.html)

and 2 additional English threads which might provide additional info
on this (and another sound) issue:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-862229.html "kernel: eth0: RX MAC
fifo overflow smac"

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-862579.html "Soundissue extreme quietly"

I'm not subscribed to the list so please CC

Thanks & Regards

Matt