From: Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com>
To: openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] turning conf/machine into a set of bblayers
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:57:27 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi@student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> On 02-11-10 08:02, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
>> 2010/10/21 Koen Kooi <k.kooi@student.utwente.nl>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Recipes/linux is a mess and recipes/u-boot is as well. It would be a
>>> nice topic for OEDEM to see if we discuss switching to a poky BSP model.
>>> It would boil down to:
>>>
>>> 1 base bblayer with shared files:
>>> * conf/machine/include

I think cortexa8 would be  common to non omap/beagleboard machines so
it would be desirable
that this is not overridden from core layer if possible.

>>> * recipes/linux/*.inc

some incs like linux.inc could still stay in core layer

>>> 1 bblayer per machine or SOC_FAMILY containing:
>>> * machine.conf
>>> * first and second stage bootloaders
>>> * kernel

this is fine. I think SOC_FAMILY or for subarch family is a processor based call
but omap is quite prevalent and has many machines so soc_family in
omap case makes
sense

in general we should try to move minimal stuff into machine layers for
obvious maintenance
burdening reasons. I am afraid that this has potential of leading us
into maintenance problems
if we hold this loosely.