On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt < benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote: > On Wed, 2010-09-08 at 09:41 -0700, Ira W. Snyder wrote: > > This adds basic support for the system controller FPGA on the OVRO CARMA > > board. This patch only adds infrastructure that will be used by later > > drivers. > > Oh and another comment ... > > I'm not sure about drivers/fpga ... in the end, one would expect such a > directory to contain stuff to manipulate FPGAs in the sense of > downloading bitfiles, instanciating devices (device-tree manipulation ?) > etc... > > From what I see in your code, the fact that these are FPGAs is almost > irrelevant, you are providing support for "carma" devices, and such are > no different than some other platform device, they just happen to be > implemented as FPGAs. Or am I missing something ? > > Cheers, > Ben. > > Generally, I agree with this: There doesn't seem to be anything generic about the FPGA support you are adding, it seems very specific to the CARMA hardware. I'm generally not opposed to drivers/fpga: I think that colocating drivers for things that are basically FPGA compute platforms isn't necessarily a bad idea, but I think it would be better if those devices were colocated because they shared some FPGA-oriented infrastructure, which this doesn't seem to do. Currently, generic infrastructure has been going into drivers/char, and drivers themselves have been going wherever they seem best. Really what you have is 2 character devices: one for configuration, and one for access. Steve