* HVR1255 svideo
@ 2011-01-29 18:53 Jon Goldberg
From: Jon Goldberg @ 2011-01-29 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi

I've been trying to get the Svideo input on my HVR-1255 working.  From
the latest code in cx23885-cards.c, it seems that only DVB is
supported.  I have some experience writing Linux Kernel/Drivers so I'm
determined to get this working.

I copied the cx23885_boards[CX23885_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR1250] settings
and did get the V4L layer connected enough to get a /dev/video0,
albeit with only green video and no picture.  I then realized that was
probably a dumb thing to do (possibly damaging the GPIO), since the
eeprom is clearly different based on what I saw in tveeprom.c.

My question is, am I going down the right path to add this support?
Should I go ahead and install Windows (sigh) and get the output from
RegSpy?  Are there any developer git trees that are focused on this
area?

Regards,
Jon

- cx23885[0]: subsystem: 0070:2259, board: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1255
[card=20,autodetected]

* Re: HVR1255 svideo
@ 2011-01-29 21:12 ` Devin Heitmueller
From: Devin Heitmueller @ 2011-01-29 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Goldberg; +Cc: linux-media

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Jon Goldberg <jond578@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been trying to get the Svideo input on my HVR-1255 working.  From
> the latest code in cx23885-cards.c, it seems that only DVB is
> supported.  I have some experience writing Linux Kernel/Drivers so I'm
> determined to get this working.
>
> I copied the cx23885_boards[CX23885_BOARD_HAUPPAUGE_HVR1250] settings
> and did get the V4L layer connected enough to get a /dev/video0,
> albeit with only green video and no picture.  I then realized that was
> probably a dumb thing to do (possibly damaging the GPIO), since the
> eeprom is clearly different based on what I saw in tveeprom.c.
>
> My question is, am I going down the right path to add this support?
> Should I go ahead and install Windows (sigh) and get the output from
> RegSpy?  Are there any developer git trees that are focused on this
> area?

Steven did a bunch of analog work on the cx23885, although I do not
believe he brought up the 1255 specifically.  I would definitely look
at his tree as a starting point (if for no other reason than he's the
cx23885 maintainer and will have to ACK any patches you send):

https://www.kernellabs.com/hg/~stoth/cx23885-mpx/

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com

* Re: HVR1255 svideo
@ 2011-01-29 21:26   ` Jon Goldberg
From: Jon Goldberg @ 2011-01-29 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Devin Heitmueller; +Cc: linux-media

I do see the mods to HVR1255 in his tree in Oct.  I have some patching
to do now.

Thanks!