* git am cannot handle patches created with -B -M?
@ 2010-09-08 13:00 Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2010-09-08 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git; +Cc: Greg Ungerer

Hi,

I tried applying the patch in
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-m68k/msg03012.html
using `git am', but it failed:

| Applying: m68k/m68knommu: merge MMU and non-MMU string.h
| error: arch/m68k/include/asm/string.h: already exists in index
| Patch failed at 0001 m68k/m68knommu: merge MMU and non-MMU string.h
| When you have resolved this problem run "git am --resolved".
| If you would prefer to skip this patch, instead run "git am --skip".
| To restore the original branch and stop patching run "git am --abort".

And according to `git status' no files have conflicts??

Greg said he created the patch using `git format-patch -M -B'.

The examples in the docs for format-patch say:

|       ·   The same as the previous one:
|
|               $ git format-patch -M -B origin
|
|           Additionally, it detects and handles renames and complete rewrites
|           intelligently to produce a renaming patch. A renaming patch reduces
|           the amount of text output, and generally makes it easier to review.
|           Note that non-git "patch" programs won't understand renaming
|           patches, so use it only when you know the recipient uses git to
|           apply your patch.

so I'd expect `git am' to handle it.

My git is 1.7.0.4. Is this bug fixed in a later version?

Thanks in advance!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-09-08 13:00 UTC | newest]