From: Ken Roberts <ken@9ci.com>
To: Brian Jackson <iggy@theiggy.com>
Cc: <kvm@vger.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Migration route from Parallels on Mac for Windows images?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 20:01:58 -0500	[thread overview]

--
Ken Roberts
ken@9ci.com
ken.roberts163 @ skype
605-222-5758 @ cell

On Jun 27, 2013, at 2:33 PM, Brian Jackson <iggy@theiggy.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:25:54 PM CDT, Ken Roberts wrote:
>> Sorry for the user query but I'm not finding expertise on the Linux mailing lists I belong to.  The web site says one-off user questions are OK.
>>
>> I have a few VM images on Parallels 8 for Mac. I want them to be on KVM/Linux.
>>
>> Some of the images are Linux, but the critical ones are a few types of Windows.  I don't want to trash my licenses.
>>
>> I noticed that kvm-img has a parallels format option, and it seems to work while the conversion is going on.  I've tried kvm-img to convert to qcow2 and to raw, both cases the image converts but the disk is not bootable.  The only file the kvm-img doesn't immediately fail on is the one that contains the data.
>

> More details on "not bootable" would be nice. Do you get a blue screen? Seabios screen? You may need to prep the image before you convert it (google mergeide).

Not sure if you support screenshots on the list, so I'm typing it below the post.

The only configured device is the hard disk, it is INSTANTLY showing Boot failed: not a bootable disk.

Thanks.

Black screen from virt-manager:
----

Booting from Hard Disk…
Boot failed: not a bootable disk

Booting from ROM…
iPXE (PCI 00:03.0) starting execution…ok
iPXE initialising devices…ok

iPXE 1.0.0+ -- Open Source Network Boot Firmware -- http://ipxe.org
Features: HTTP HTTPS iSCSI DNS TFTP AoE bzImage ELF MBOOT PXE PXEXT Menu

net0: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx using rtl8139 on PCI00:03.0 (open)
  [Link:up, TX:0 TXE:0 RX:0 RXE:0]
DHCP (net0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)….. ok
net0: 192.168.1.140/255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1
Next server: 192.168.1.1
Nothing to boot: No such file or directory (http://ipxe.org/2d03e13b)
No more network devices

Booting from Floppy…
Boot failed: could not read the boot disk

No bootable device.
----