From: "Ming Liu" <eemingliu@hotmail.com>
To: t.denzinger@lesametric.de
Cc: linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org
Subject: RE: Speed of plb_temac 3.00 on ML403
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 16:49:28 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Thomas,
Now I am also fighting against improving the performance of the TEMAC on
ml403 board. But the difference is I work on the old plb_temac and
hard_temac cores and my linux is 2.6.

I used some little programs written by myself to test the throughput of the
network between a pc and my board. (I would like to say, I am not an
experienced programmer so I cannot make sure my programs have no problem,
although they are simple. :-) ) According to my result, the largest
throughput between my board and a pc is around 4MB/s, for a round-trip.
However when those programs applied on two servers interconnected by
gigabit ethernet, the largest throughput is around 12MB/s, three times than
my board.

I have not used the popular software, such as Netperf, to measure my little
network.

I also noticed that when transfering the data, the CPU utilization is very
high(almost 100%). I am not sure if this is the reason. I think because
there is SGDMA who can deal with data transfer, the CPU utilization should
not be so high.

I am also waiting for some suggestions from some experts who are more
experienced in such field.

Did you ever measure the throughput of your network? If possible, let's
share some experience. :)

BR
Ming

>From: Thomas Denzinger <t.denzinger@lesametric.de>
>To: <linuxppc-embedded@ozlabs.org>
>Subject: Speed of plb_temac 3.00 on ML403
>Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:18:07 +0100
>
>Hi all,
>
>I have to interface to a camera with the GigE Vision protocol.
>
>For that I set up a design on ML403 with PPC, Temac and sgDMA. I use
MontaVista 2.4.20 Linux with the BSP from Xilinx EDK 8.2. The camera vendor
supplied a library for GigE Vision, which works under Linux.
>The results of some tests showed that I have to insert waiting time
between frames sent by the camera, otherwise the lib signals errors.
>This leeds to only 1/10 of the needed transfer rate.
>
>My question is now: Has anybody deeper knowledge how ethernet and sgDMA
works? How deep is the PPC involved in the data transfer? Or does the
Temac-core handle the datatransfer to DDR-memory autonomous?

>I learnd from the camera vendor, that on PCs with special Intel ethernet
chips, it works outonomous and so the high transfer rate can be
accomplished.

>I'm very interested to get in contact with people who have to interface
with a GigE Vision camera.

>Also interesting is if anybody benchmarked the gigabit ethernet on the
ML403 hardware. How fast is the gigabit interface realy?

免费下载 MSN Explorer:   http://explorer.msn.com/lccn